Chapter 17

Chapter 17

                We continued running, unaware exactly where we were or where we were going. But we didn't have time to think of it; well I wasn't able to have the time. Jesse was running like a mad man, turning sharp corners, crossing in the middle of the street, and frantically dodging the occasional crowd of club hoppers.

                Yet through all the sprinting and darting, I still took notice of what was slowly surrounding me. Shadows? People? Darkness? I wasn't sure what it was, but I knew for certain who was doing it. Sometimes I could catch people staring, but their faces were different, almost evil...but within milliseconds they could look normal.

                Soon. there was this eerie feeling that was taking over my lungs; it was as if somehow a dozen ants were crawling inside. My throat felt unbelievably abnormal as well; it scratched, it burned. What was worse was the fact that the running did nothing to sooth the pain. My chest continued to suffer. Then I began to wrestle with a cough fit. 

                "I can't," I began to hack, dropping my bag to the ground. "Run..."

                As I abruptly stopped my feet, Jesse whipped his head around while still in motion.

                My lungs were giving in as I hysterically coughed. "Jesse," Cough. "...stop!"

                "What? No we can't stop!" Jesse cried as he jogged back to me.

                Cough, Cough "I can't run," Cough "Anymore!"

                "No we have to keep going!!"

                Cough "Jessie..."

                I continued to cough violently as he pressed his lips together, and then with a quivering, almost accusing voice he said "We have to run! We have to get out of here! People will see you!"

                "What?" I struggled to say through muffled coughs.

                "People will see you!! They'll see how your hair glows red, how you float in mid air. How you are able to push full grown men fifteen feet away! They will see you, they'll see you and how you are able to kill.."

                My eyes grew wide.

                "Lucia let's just go!" He whimpered.

                Slowly I stood up, my hair feeling hot as I grew angry. "Do you think I chose this?" My coughs gradually subsided. "Do you think I signed up for this?!"

                Jesse fell silent, yet his eyes began to move around trying to make sure no one else was there.

                "Do you honestly believe that I threw my mother in front of him, so that he could easily take her to hell?!" My voice was beginning to shake, I tried not to cry. "I don't know if I killed her Jesse..."

                His lips twitched knowing I was implying to his grandmother.

                "But if I did...I'm sorry. I'm so sorry! I never meant for any of this to happen! I didn't mean to get you involved!!"

                I notice Jesse harshly balling his hands to fist- he furiously screamed. "Except you did Lucia!! Because of you I'm more alone than ever!!"

                "My mother is gone Jesse!! I know exactly how you feel!"

                He shook his head frantically as he too, bit back tears. "What makes you think you do?! You didn't have both your parents die without knowing them, and you definitely did not see your own grandmother die...in front of you."

                I let out a small devastated gasp. "I'm sorry..."

                Jesse relaxed his hands as he slowly backed away, his face though still held so much rage.

                "I'm so sorry."

                "Stop," He yelled. "Stop apologizing! It's not going to fix anything you've done!!"

                "Then what do you want me to do Jesse?!!"

                He bit his lips.

                "Trust me, if I had the chance to bring her back I would! I would do anything to change things to the way things were!! But I don't know how? I don't know what you want me to do!"

                "Nothing, I don't want you to do anything!!"

                A small frustrated huff came from me. "So stop telling me this is entirely my fault. Because I know it is! I'm not stupid!!"

                He exasperatedly shrugged. "You should have never talked to me!"

                I struggled for breath at his comment. "You're the one who came to me! If you had just left me alone at the cafe you wouldn't be here."

                "But I am! I'm stuck in this same God forsaken spot as you!! I have no choice!"

                I stared at him, my eyes burning to his soul. My hair was hot now; I had never felt this bad before. I tried so strongly to hold my gaze but the tears were blurring my vision. It wasn't hard to notice that his eyes too were becoming wet.

                "You have a choice..." I whispered.

                He shook his head. "No I don't."

                "Yes you do Jesse! If you want to leave go now! No one is stopping you! No one is telling you that you have to stay!!"

                By this time I had already felt the hot tears fall. I was so upset! I was frustrated, annoyed, and scared. My mind was scattered all over the place. And through all the chaos I hadn't notice that the entire time, voices...his voice was whispering to me. I wasn't sure what he was saying, because all I could think about was the disheartening feeling Jesse had in his eyes.

                He slowly took a step towards me, only to take three more back. His chest rose and then fell as he took in a deep breath. I watched as his head fell and his gaze dropped to the floor. I didn't want to him to leave. I was letting him though; I was giving him the option. Plus with this sick twisted game Lucifer had arranged the only thing we had were our choices, and I wasn't about to take Jesse's away.

                Staying silent I watched as he took a stride closer.

                "Do you want me to leave?!" He yelled.

                I let out a sudden cough.

                "Do you want me to go?!"

                 Soon the single cough became many. I could taste blood in my mouth.

                "Because I will leave..." He mumbled

                His voice was shaking just as hard as my hands were, and the cold air of a spring night wasn't making things any better. And though my coughs grew loud, I could still hear Jesse's voice, but I didn't know what he was saying.

                 Then the last thing I saw though was his face... then his chest, after his waist, and soon his feet. I had blacked out.