Chapter 12

Chapter 12

                My heart was growing heavy as I felt Jesse’s arm around my waist to help me off the floor. I couldn’t breathe and my mind was racing. I was scared, I told Jesse everything, or at least everything I knew. But was he supposed to know? Would I get hurt because of what I said?

                “Lucia,” he said as he slipped his arm on my bag strap.

                I looked up at him, surrendering my bag to him.

                “I should probably take you home...”

                Shaking my head I said. “No, there’s no one home.”

                He ran his fingers through his hair as he said. “Look...”

                “You don’t believe me do you?”

                From the corner of my eye I watched him slightly shake his head. I nodded to myself. It was a good thing, right? Even if I told him, even if he knew, he didn’t believe it. He was safe. But I was still alone.

                We stayed silent as we walked along the streets. I wasn’t sure where he was taking me, and I didn’t think he knew where he was going either. However the stillness was comforting. He didn’t ask any questions, and I didn’t push anything. Best of all, mind was still, not with the thoughts, but with the voices. 

                Suddenly the quiet was broken when Jesse whispered. “I’m trying to understand you know? But it just seems too...bizarre.”

                I kept my gaze on our moving feet.

                “I know how it feels though, okay? So don’t underestimate me with this.”

                Stopping my feet I glared at him. “You don’t know how this feels...”

                “Yes I do.”

                My eyes shot through him, questioning with doubt. “You didn’t have your mother taken away from you!”

                He stayed silent, as I scoffed.

                “You know nothing...” I mumbled.

                He pressed his lips together, before he whispered. “My parents are dead.”His voice was so low and hushed; as if he wasn’t sure if what he was saying was true.

                I gasped, but I wasn’t all there. A part of me was sorry, sympathetic, but the other part...The other part was laughing, mocking him even. “I’m sorry.” I said automatically.

                He shrugged. “I’m trying to understand you know?”

                As I nodded he gestured for me to continue walking, I could feel my hands clench at my sides after each step we talk. It was like something was changing, and it wasn’t me that much I know. No it wasn’t me rather...no it was something inside me. I didn’t care, or at least I didn’t feel like caring, if anything I just want...revenge.

                “Lucia, your hair,” Jesse whispered.

                I quickly glanced up from the ground as I tried my best to calm down.

                We didn’t get far from the bus stop when we walked down the stairs towards the subway. My heart clenched a little as I recalled the last time I was here. Slowly I felt myself grow nervous while I frantically made sure I didn’t bump into anyone.

                Jesse and I sat near an exit of the train. I stared out at the empty black window as we began to move. The speaker chimed in, announcing our next stop, but all I heard were a dozen voices coaxing me, calling out to me. I shook my head. Yet the voices didn’t end. They kept whispering and murmuring, mocking me about my mother.

                I moaned in pain as my ears began to ring. My hair was burning too; the anger in me was in flames.

                “Lucia...” Jesse mumbled.

                I ignored him, or at least something told me to. The voices, or one voice that sound like many.

                “Lucia!” Jesse half screeched.

                He needed to shut up, to let me be, and leave. He didn’t to be here, he simply had to go!! And I knew I could make it happen. Just by myself. I could make him leave.

                I felt my hair grow hot as I turned towards Jesse, my eyes plain as my expression.

                “Do it...” A voice whispered from behind him.

                Slowly I reached for his jaw with my fist.

                “Perfect...”

                He licked his lips in nervousness, as he carefully leaned backwards.

                “Just grab him and...”

                My fist was so close...too close. But Jesse stopped me, his hand wrapping around my wrist. I began to shake; I wasn’t scared; no I was furious! I just wanted for him to go! I just wanted for him to leave!!!

                “Stop.” Jesse simply said. It wasn’t a command or plea, just a small whisper.

                The voice behind him fell to a whisper as I dropped my hand and shut my eyes.