Chapter 4

Chapter 4

                When I woke up on a Monday morning I stared at the ceiling. What was I going to do with myself? I couldn't keep getting upset all the time, especially if it meant causing a scene. I dragged my feet out of bed, and headed towards the dining room. There my mother was sitting readily with our books, and pencils. Taking a huff, I sat down and looked at her.

                "Morning," She smiled.

                I throw a subtle grin. "Morning..."

                As she pulled out Chemistry, I glanced out the window. Maybe I should just try getting through my anger problems one day at a damn time.

                It felt like forever, with her blabbing about balancing equations, and bases, and acids, and whatever else. But my mind was somewhere else. My eyes kept falling on her. Why was she blonde? Why was her skin so ivory? Why did my mother look nothing like me? She tells my father was Spanish. But still. Something about me had to resemble her somehow. I can't look like my father entirely.  My skin was supposedly olive as his, but eyes were darker. By hair was as long as my mother's but darker than my fathers. I sometimes doubt I'm even their's. I couldn't ask him what caused the difference either... He was dead.

~*~

                "Mum," I yelled at the front door. "We're out of lined paper."

                Silence

                "I'm going to the mall to stop by the stationary store and grab a bite, do you want anything."     

                "No, I'm fine." She called down.

                Nodding to myself I made my way to the town mall that was only two blocks away. As I walked over, I could feel someone following me. Was it that boy? Lord I hope not. Suddenly a growl came from behind my shoulder. I whipped my head around.

                What in God's name was that?!

                "Lucia, don't use that word!" The voice snarled.

                I took in a deep breath.  What the hell!

                A laugh came.  "...Much better!"

                Quickly without thinking I began to run. For all I knew it was just my imagination. But I'm not that creative! When I finally made it to the automatic doors of the mall I exhaled. I never knew that these would give me comfort. As I walked in I could hear just how silent everything was. The good thing about being homeschooled is that you didn't have to wait for two thirty to roll by on a Monday to leave. By the time I reached "The Notepad" I made my way over to the paper section. Scanning the shelves I tried my best to find the cheapest package there. I didn't understand why paper had to be so expensive. When I finally grabbed a promising brand, I flipped it around to make sure it at least had good quality. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention to the person behind me - I felt a shoe underneath my foot.

                "Ow," I heard a yelp.

                Turning around I found that same boy from Saturday. "Okay seriously?!"

                Looking up his eyes caught mine before a smile appeared. "Hey!"

                "What the hell is wrong with you?!" I snarled.