Chapter 13 ~ Into the Beast

Mammagma groaned, lifting his head up off of the ground and pushing himself to his feet with some effort. He felt as if every bone in his body had fractured, broken or just horribly shifted out of place. Mammagma's eyes drifted upwards as he watched the huge, robotic form of Skeleborg, in all of its breathtaking horror, as it attempted to crush and destroy his friends. Mammagma's eyes quickly darted to the long, flowing, icy white cloak Skeleborg wore as an ingenious, yet precarious, idea formed within his mind.

"Climb it! We can get top of him by that!" Mammagma yelled over the roar of mechanical groans and battle itself.

Mammagma jumped to his feet and dashed forward, launching himself onto the cloak and latched on. Then came the slow, treacherous climb. Several other Skylanders took the risk and followed him in the scaling the flowing cloak. Unfortunately for them, Skeleborg must have noticed that a group of little roaches had broken off of the main hord and began to climb up his cloak, because they soon found thousands of volts traveling through their bodies, generated by the spikes on the cloak. Mammagma quickly lost feeling in his limbs and everywhere else had began to sting and fizz. He had no other choice than to release his grip on the cloak and fall back to the ground. They all had to fall.

Shoria's spirit floated around in the air. The look on her face gave away the obvious fact that she was mourning the loss of her own life, when she noticed her body had been moved. Shoria turned around to face the Sea Shadow and noticed something odd. There was no motion. Nothing at all. Worry filled up in Shoria's chest, almost drowning her as she raced over to the Sea Shadow and peered inside. Her own body was propped up against the door, but she didn't have time to wonder how someone had the time to move it amongst all of this chaos. She was too busy staring in shock at the shallow puddle of black liquid that the two Kaos' were laying in. The robot was not spluttering nor clicking like it normally did to try and communicate with her and Kaos' mortal body had giant chest cavity that was bubbling with the black liquid... though it looked like the body was running low on it. Shoria floated into the vehicle in a panic and tried to stop the bleeding, but it would not help. She tried re-circuiting the robot, but for the life of her, it would not turn on. Shoria was now choking down tears as she tried with all of her might to bring at least one of them back... but to no avail.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you, Shoria. I don't feel like getting trapped again."

Shoria looked over her shoulder and noticed Kaos leaning against the outside hull of the vehicle, watching the carnage of the battle unfold. Once Kaos realized she was staring at him, he turned around and saw tears straying from her glassy eyes, trickling down her cheeks. Without warning, Kaos floated into the vehicle and shoved Shoria away from his mortal body and against the hull of the Sea Shadow, stumbling a little bit afterwards. He was clearly still getting used to being... dead like this.

"I was only trying to help," Shoria murmured in a wistful voice, "like you did that night. I don't want you to die, I won't lose you like I did my parents." Shoria looked confused and panicked. "I want you alive, Kaos! The powers you had in your mortal body could help stop... that!" She gestured up to the giant Skeleborg. "I can only stay in this form for a few more minutes! I want to be able to help! But my own powers were desecrated."

"Don't you think I know that!?" Kaos cried, his voice bubbling up with anger, "I don't feel like dying either! None of us mortals do! It's instinct!" Kaos took a deep breath, attempting to calm himself, and looked down at his feet. He sighed heavily. "If my plan goes the way I want it to, I'll have more power than I've ever had before." Kaos walked forward and placed his hand on Shoria's shoulder, staring her directly in the eyes. "You - on the other hand - need to have a physical form to sustain your life force. I saved you once. I don't want that effort to be for nothing. YOU need to get out of this alive."