The ride to the hospital was quick and quiet. For some reason, Katie was nervous. She fiddled with the hem of her white summer dress she had decided to wear for the day.

Luckily when they arrived to the hospital, they didn’t have to wait for long and Dr. Andrews walked into the room where Katie sat, propped up on the bed.

“So you’ve finally taken my advice and come in for a check-up.” Dr. Andrews laughed.

That was the benefit of having a doctor for as long as Katie had Dr. Andrews, she never felt uncomfortable around him and they could even joke with each other.

The doctor smiled at Katie gently and Katie returned the smile.

“How you feeling, Kate?” He asked, examining his clipboard that held all her paperwork together.

“Good.” She sighed.

He furrowed his eyebrows as he read over something on her papers. “Have you had any bleeding? Any more dizzy spells?”

She shook her head as Andrea stood silently in the corner, biting the nail of her pinky finger.

The doctor nodded and the room was silent for a moment.

Katie was suddenly frustrated with him. How could he remain so calm when the inevitable was about to happen? It had been 3 weeks, 3 weeks and she still felt normal. Maybe a bit more weak, maybe she got nauseous more often but she still felt the same.

“Dr. Andrews, when am I going to die?”

The question hit the air like a freight train.

The doctor looked up with wide eyes and Katie noticed that at the corner of the room, Andrea brought a hand up to cover her open mouth. They both stared at her with horrified eyes.

“Well Katie-” The doctor spoke, almost flustered as he regained himself from her bold question and pushed his glasses further up his nose. “Well you see, we got your blood results back-”

Her eyebrows furrowed as she tried to understand his words.

“-The thing is with cancer, you can never really be sure. Your vitals were almost healthier compared to normal.”

Katie’s mouth fell open a bit, as did Andrea’s, as they listened to the doctors words.

“What-What do you mean?” Katie finally muttered.

Dr. Andrews looked up at her with careful eyes. 

“Katie, terminal cancer has it’s ups and downs. From my last study I had come to the conclusion that you would only have one or two months left.” Katie’s stomach suddenly churned at his words. “-But now that I’ve revisited your test results, they’ve changed since the test results I had from a month ago. Your vitals are stable and that’s our biggest concern right now. But from the way you’re looking and feeling, I’d say that I was wrong about the ‘one or two months.’”

A cry escaped Andrea’s lips in the corner of the room and Katie couldn’t pry her wide eyes away from the doctors’.

“So you’re saying I have...longer?”

He nodded, a grin creeping across his older face. Katie could feel her heart beating wildly in her chest and the back of her eyes burn with tears.

“So how long would you say?” She choked.