Chapter 18: An Awkward Dinner

Start from the beginning

Yeah, you used to live there too with Sarah and my mother before you knocked them both up and then left my mother, my brother and I for Sarah and Toby.

“Yeah, Cleveland Ohio and moved here just after my mother died.” The last part was cold as I glared at John. I could still be angry with him and show it without starting a verbal argument.

“Really.” Mr. Felton said, as if shocked. I nodded without taking my gaze off of John who was trying his best not to scowl and yell at me to stop. “I lived in Parma just outside of Cleveland.” He was now smiling. I could see him from the corner of my eye.

“Yeah, I’ve been there. Nice place. Better than here.” John’s eyes narrowed and it was like we were having an internal argument as I raised my eyebrows, acting all innocent.

“I disagree.” Mr. Felton told us, eyeing the both of us as if just now noticing our little struggle. He coughed causing John to turn his gaze from me.

Victory.

“Same here. Ohio was nice, but I think Virginia is much better.” Asshole.

“I think I should help Sarah in the kitchen.” I stated, not waiting for John to pull me back into the conversation. I rushed out of the room and luckily remembered my way to the kitchen. As soon as I got in an amazing smell of rosemary, garlic, and chicken entering my nose making my taste buds go crazy.

“The chicken smells delicious.” Sarah turned around and smiled at me.

“It was my mother’s recipe. I got it from her before John and I got married.” I felt my heart ping.

Yeah, after he left my mother knocked up…

“Well it looks delicious.” I told her, forgetting about my thoughts. Sarah had no clue about my mother. It wasn’t her fault that John left us. It was his decision and his stupid moves that made him knock up two girls around the same time. It was his choice to leave us. Sarah just thought he loved her, and only her.

He probably did just love her because I know if you loved someone you wouldn’t be able to just up and leave them for another woman with your child without explaining why or anything else.

“I think I’ll call the men in, if you don’t mind could you set the table?” I nodded. Sarah was always nice even from the beginning. I shouldn’t hold a grudge against her. John, maybe.

I did as was asked and set the table in the dining room for four. I laid the plates out along with the silverware and grabbed a handful of napkins; one napkin for each person and then extras if they were needed. I continued on even though they had all returned. I helped Sarah carry the chicken and mashed potatoes into the dining room and set them in the middle of the table.

I didn’t take my usual seat tonight since there were less of us, but I did manage to sit right across from Mr. Felton and John and Sarah, opposite each other.

The conversation at the table went from Sports to teaching and then to other things like childhood stories. The three of them chatted away while I ate my food slowly; managing to have food in my mouth each time I should’ve talked, excusing me from answering any questions too quickly. I would chew slower knowing that they’d move on if I didn’t answer soon enough and they did.

Finally when the meal was over, I helped Sarah clear the table as Mr. Felton and John made their way back into the living room until desert was ready. After eating a delicious cherry pie that Sarah had also made, Mr. Felton thought it was his time to go.

Luckily nothing slipped from either of our mouths. I was happy at that, but wouldn’t be able to do anything until he was out of the house and in his own. John decided to clear the table this time with Sarah and asked me to lead Mr. Felton out and get his jacket form the closet.

Why me?

I agreed, ushering Mr. Felton out of the dining room and into the hallway as quickly as possible. I basically ran to the closet to grab his jacket which was the only one I didn’t recognize to be any of ours and handed it to him. He smiled in return as he pulled it on.

“Thank you Anya, for a very nice night.” I nodded, still holding back words that I was sure to mess up. Mr. Felton glanced over his shoulder before leaning into to me and pressing his lips against my ear.

My whole body stiffened, but yet burned with desire. I wanted his lips back on mine! Damn you Anya! Stop thinking that. Your emotions are all messed up.

“I had a nice night on Friday too.” He whispered huskily in my ear, pulling back only far enough to brush his lips against my own and then without another second wasted, leave through the front door. I didn’t move a single muscle until I heard his car speed off down the road.

Why was he doing this to me?