Chapter 24 - Everything

Start from the beginning

“They took me to London, back to their hiding place; the same place where they hid Nathan.  That was when I first met my brother after more than ten years. From the first time we saw each other, I knew something was inexplicablywrong about him. He almost constantly wore a naïve smile but he was extremely labile; so emotionally unstable when he couldn’t get what he wanted. He was a time bomb ready to explode once detonated.

I figured it was Camilla to blame and nobody else. She kept Nathan silently locked by satisfying his every egotistical whim, but she never had given him the only thing Nathan could have wanted—she didn’t love him. Camilla was more absorbed into the sport of getting me back.Nathan hated me too.”

There was bitterness in his voice as he went on. “That night, while Frost and the other two men were drinking away, Nathan came to me as I was tied and gagged in a corner. His expression reminded me of those people watching gold fish in an aquarium. He pored over, asking what mother saw in me that she didn’t see in him. When he finally allowed me to speak, I tried to reason out with him. I told him I never wanted what happened to him; that we are still brothers.”

Leon cleared his throat as if every word was taxing on him. Imagining him all tied up and helpless was quite difficult. Who would’ve imagined that Leon Walden suffered hardships such as those? People would think his life had been a blast from the beginning.

“He didn’t listen at first but I made a compromise with him. Then he helped me escape but not without something in return. After that, we started moving from place to place as Dad homeschooled me. But just a few months ago, someone tipped the social welfare department on my Dad’s credibility to teach and I knew it was her. His revoked teaching license resurfaced and I had to go to a real school as a requirement for probation. But my Dad made amends for the authorities to let me hide my true identity since I’ve been constantly in danger. They agreed and that’s why we’re here.”

My fears worsened. Camilla, Nathan, Larkin.

A few days ago, I believed that those kind of people whoabuse power and influence, withsuch vile intents existed only in soap operas. But, these people were very real as well as the dangers they posed to me and mostly to Leon. I was afraid for him more than myself. He could be perfectly capable and tough but he’s still human.

“And that man, Larkin Frost, what did you do to him?” The shudders rushed to my spine and I tried to push the thoughts to the subconscious before the wave of fear could creep again.

“That time, we couldn’t let anything about the kidnapping surface into the media. That’s one of Nathan’s conditions. We had to let it go,” he grumbled. “And the disguise part is one thing to prevent them from finding us.”

“But after what he did to you? No.” His shoulder shook with rage as he took several lungfuls of air to placate his temper. He stiffened, clenching his fists. Soon, there was not so much as a twitch on his face but his eyes smoldered with a distant gleam.

I kept quiet, my fingers trembling against his but he didn’t seem to notice it.

“I taught him a lesson. I couldn’t break his neck even if I wanted to. So badly. But I couldn’t turn him over to the police either,” he gritted through his teeth.“He’d most likely divulge my secret and maybe Nathan’s, so I had Gerald dispatch him.”

I felt the dreaded feeling creep again. Burying my face on my knees, I struggled to fight the terror that had haunted me in silence for the last few nights. The beady soot-colored eyes, the terrifying snarl, the gnarled bony hands; they all flooded at once, paralyzing my ability to think.

Leon mechanically draped his arms around me; the sinking feeling alleviating in an instant at the touch of his hands as though I was being cradled on a breezy meadow. Only now, did I became aware of the fatigue.

“Don’t worry Sarah, he’s somewhere far.Somewhere he can’t hurt you or anybody else.” His gentle voice hummed like music in the air making my lids heavy.

“You’re tired.” It wasn’t a question.

“I’m not.” I whispered resting my head on his lap.

“Are too…” A smile was trailing on his lips as he scooped me off the floor and laid me gently on my bed.

He sat beside me twirling my hair on his fingers, gazing at me with an amused air about him.

“No. Tell me about your plans,” I said quietly as the weariness started to overwhelm my eyes but I fought it. I wasn’t dozing off without knowing everything. Not without knowing if he’d still be there when I woke up.

His smile widened. It made my chest flutter. “I’m planning to stick with you.”

“Hmm…” My lids fell for a while, but I blinked back to consciousness. “Is that even possible?”

“If there’s a will, there’s a way.” There was something with the saying and in his suddenly hoarse tone that made me giggle. He bent a little to kiss my forehead.

“What if they come back?” I croaked.

“Then we’ll be ready.” He sounded so sure with his words, as though nothing could ever go wrong. And I believed him.

“What if you have to go to L.A. again?” My eyes drifted on his clear blue eyes. They were so deep I could fall asleep in them.

“You’ll come with me,” he proposed. “Will you?”

“Hmm… that would be… good.” I smiled as my lids fell halfway. “Tell me… Is Leonard even your real name?”

“Yep. Leonard Daniel Walden A.K.A. Leon; definitely notLen please, and thank you very much.” His eyes twitched with a wry smile from behind my lashes. He really hated that pet name his Dad gave him. But then, that girl who answered his phone when he was in L.A. called him Len too. They must really be close. Too bad I was too sleepy to ask.

Ugh.

“Hmm… That would be all. Don’t slip… on the… ladder,” I mumbled with a smile, closing my heavy eyes.

“I’ll wait until you’re sound asleep,” he whispered.

“No…” I murmured a lame protest worrying what he’d do when I was asleep. It was curious and scary at the same time.

“I’ll be good,” he promised, seeing my reaction then he hummed the piece he played on his piano earlier that day and lulled me to sleep.

I wondered what that song was. “Good night, Leon.”

“Good night, Sarah.” 

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

So if you're reading this then you might really like it! Am I right? Or am I just assuming in a desperate attempt for motivation? Well thank you so much!

I'm thinking of doing a chapter with a Leon POV.. So tell me if you're any where interested at taking a peek through this popstar's head! Please do! XD

I was thinking maybe Nerdy's hugging all the airtime! LOL... and I'm looking to having more than 20 votes for this chapter before I start on the Leon POV chapter which can be really long, I guess... So there! Thanks a lot... and til next time!

xoxo

~shim XD