Chapter 24 - Everything

Start from the beginning

“So where should we start?” He begun, picking up my hairbrush and holding it under his chin as though it was a microphone.

I would’ve guffawed on that note on any ordinary day but I was too anxious to do so at this point.The millions of questions were so confusing inside my head that though I would’ve loved so much to humor him, I couldn’t.

“Tell me… about L.A.,” I stuttered with the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

His smile faded as he put down the brush quietly. Another few seconds passed before he spoke again. “Gerald called,” he started.

I nodded remembering that day; that phone call before Leon went missing without any word. Sighing, I curled my knees on my chest.

“Said the producers wanted a couple of new songs to carry the album for the concert, but they must be new compositions and had to be recorded before the end of the week. I didn’t have time to say anything to you since it was urgent.” His face was smooth like a statue but there was starkness in his eyes.

“So you flew off without a word,” I said mostly to myself.

“And I’m sorry. I really am.”

“I know.”

“So I had planned to stay there for no more than three days since I already made the two compositions beforehand. But…” His eyes narrowed with dejection. “Something went wrong because of Nathan and I had to shoot the video. I thought you were mad as hell; that you wouldn’t speak to me again so I stayed a couple of days more.”

“Annoyed and worried, really. But not that mad at the least. The trouble with Nathan… What was it about?” I asked still hugging my knees.

His eyes trailed on the window then to me. “Production. Nathan holds some shares.”

I might not have the slightest clue about shares and production but I knew Leon was holding something back. However, I did not probe. There were more pressing matters than stocks and the like.

“Tell me about why you have to be here,” I choked on my words recalling the first day I discovered his true identity and how desperate he was to keep me silent.

“We’ve been doing it for years.” He begun with a sigh. “Moving from one town to another, sometimes to the cities where it was easier to blend in. It started after Elizabeth Grest failed on her claim for my custody. Mrs. Downing, my mother—“ His eyes twitched and narrowed at the mention of the word. “… had begun to use less legal means to get a hold of me and Arthur was right of course. She tried to have me kidnapped when I was eleven — she almost succeeded — but Dad was a step ahead of her and prevented that from happening. He was able to save me.” He paused for a while, and caught my hand, enclosing it in his. Soon, his index finger wrote endless repetitive circles on my palm; a force of habit whenever he was nervous or overly excited.

I lifted my face. I knew he was uncomfortable, terrified even. I could tell by the trembling of his body. I’ve never seen him in such state of mind before. I sat on his feet and wrapped my arms around his waist hoping that it could hopefully provide some relief.

His face lightened a bit when he began to stroke my hair but the fear was still evident.

“Two years later that incident, she had me abducted again, and she sent Frost and two others to do it, only that time, they were more careful with their plans. They tricked Arthur and I was hers,” he gritted through his teeth.

I watched him clench and unclench his fist until his knuckles turned white and the veins became more prominent.My hands smoothed his clasp and interlaced his fingers with mine. One way or another, I could understand how Leon felt. That absolutely vindicated his overwhelming rage towards the deluded man.