Chapter 56

Standing by the door between Thirdy, my best man and Thea, his date, fidgeted, uncomfortably.

I would never, of course, admit that I am becoming more nervous as the seconds ticked by and Mika was nowhere to be found.

'Where is she?' I growled under my breath, glancing at my watch for the three hundred fifteenth times, kidding.

'She'll be here Manong, baka na traffic lang.' Thirdy said in that calm voice that was beginning to grate on my every nerve.

Everybody inside Holy Family Chapel's been asking where the bride is.

'Alam naman niya the ceremony was to begin promptly at...'

'Kuya, it's fine...' Thea consoled.

'She's coming. She's not the sort to leave you standing here.' My entire mental process froze as panic seized me at the idea.

I keep on glancing through the door, to my watch, to the people around.

'Kief, the bridal car went past the church...'

Papa went near me and tells the news. I know I'm not the only one who heard that, the people around too.

I look at my daughter, who's just near asking why. I look at the people, questions all over the faces.

'Saan?' I asked Papa, panic evident in my voice. He just pointed and I run outside the church. I saw the car, a white Volkswagen beetle taking his right turn.

Feels like I've shove in to a swimming pool of ice cubes.

Thought everything's falling into place.

~~~

'Derecho!'

I saw Papa jolted a little too at the front seat, he opted to seat there in order to give me more space and for the sake of my gown too.

I faced Mama with a creased forehead, and forwarded my body to touch the driver's shoulder.

He looked at me at the mirror as if saying he's so sorry for the mini heart attack.

Papa is massaging his nape and faced Mama.

'Pa, sorry...' I heard Mama tell Papa.

While me, I focused my attention to the driver. Later na tayo mag-usap Mama.

'Manong! Yun na ang simbahan! Alam nila na bridal car ko ito! Manong naman Bakit ka din dumerecho! Alam mo naman na dapat liliko na tayo! Manong nakakainis ka...' I said calmly I'm on the verge of crying.

'Ma'am sorry po, nataranta ako ng sumigaw si Ma'am sa likod bigla. Sorry po mag u-turn na lang po ako...' The driver told apologetically.

I shifted my gaze to Mama, she's crying silently.

Di ko alam si Mama pala may pag ka villain ng slight ang character.

Anyway my phone rings. Ito na nga ba sinasabi ko eh.

'Mika! Babe, ano yun? Where are you going? Are you running away from me? Why?'

Kiefer hysterically questioned me, his background is noisy and obviously in shock of what had happened.

Then I heard Mimi's voice on the background.

Oh my heart sank.

'Papa is that Mama? Is she going to leave me to you? And my baby brother will be with her lang?'