Chapter 23: Because I hate you.

Nina’s POV

“So have you lived in Chicago all your life?” I asked when we were walking down the park. There was a playground where there were little kids and there’s a fairly big pond at the other end. There are a few benches and a path to walk along. It’s actually a really nice place. The busy streets lit up the park since it’s in the city of Chicago itself.

“Yeah pretty much. My parents moved us here when I was just two. What about you? Where did you move from?” he asked.

“New York City. Been there all my life,” I said.

“Wow really? How come you moved?” he asked. I thought about it for a few seconds.

“My mom got remarried and her new husband lives here,” I said casually.

“Oh I see. So do you play sports or anything?” he asked.

“Nah not really. I used to do gymnastics and dance but that’s really it,” I said. Yeah that and special agent training to kill people.

“Seriously?” he asked sounding surprised.

“Yeah why?” I asked.

“Well when you got into that big fight with Kristen a while back, it looked like you knew what you were doing. Either that, or she’s just really bad at throwing a decent punch,” he said chuckling. I laughed too.

“Oh right. No I also grew up with two brothers so I know how to defend myself,” I said. Not bad, Nina.

“Right,” he said laughing.

“So what’s up with you and Kristen?” I asked curiously. He sighed.

“I don’t really know. We were just friends with benefits for a while until she started telling everyone we were dating so I broke up with her. Why? What have you heard?” he asked. I never agreed with the concept of friends with benefits. It’s just weird and it seems wrong.

“No I haven’t heard much except that you guys broke up. It’s just today she got mad at me for talking to you. She said you’re hers,” I said rolling my eyes. He snickered.  

“That doesn’t surprise me. She’s pretty possessive. But don’t worry about it. We’re not anything anymore,” he said.

“Oh okay. Just wondering. So you into sports or anything?” I asked.

“Yeah. I play hockey actually,” he said. We were walking around the park for about another hour just talking about anything until he asked about dinner.

“I’m actually really hungry now. Do you wanna get something to eat?” he asked.

“Yeah that’d be great,” I said smiling.

“What do you want? Real restaurant or fast food? Your choice,” he said.

“I don’t know. Do you know any good restaurants in the city?” I asked.

“Yeah. Do you like Chinese food?” he asked.

“I love Chinese food,” I said. He laughed.

“Okay good. Cause there’s this Chinese restaurant and it’s the best in the city. It’s just a few blocks away. We can walk from here,” he said. We crossed the busy street and walked down the sidewalk. We were about to walk past a dimly lit alley when I heard someone. I pulled Logan’s arm and told him to be quiet.

“How much?” I heard a boy say. He sounds vaguely familiar.

“A hundred per bag,” I heard another familiar voice say. “Don’t get caught,” he said. I heard him walking out of the alley so I pulled Logan behind a dumpster. I peeked around the dumpster and caught a glimpse of Adam’s face. What’s he doing?