Chapter 20 - More Promises

Start from the beginning

Sleep claimed me as I threw myself to bed. A slight rap on my windowpane had awoken me, glancing at the digital clock on my side table; a force of habit. 10:36 PM.

Tap. There it was again followed by two more.

I shambled frantically to the window and tripped on the bulky jumble of ropes and bars on the floor and landed head first onto the glass panel.

“Ow,” I caught my forehead and checked the window with worry. Good thing it didn’t break (I mean the window, not my head). I sighed with relief. Mom would indisputably throw a fit if she found my window broken.

There was that tapping sound again as I opened the window, and this time a tiny pebble hit my forehead. I winced in pain and grunted.

Note to self—don’t leave your big ugly forehead scattered around.

“Sarah!” Leon called in a hushed tone from below my window. “Let down your hair! Err…” He sniggered, his breath fogged all around his stunning face due to the cold, his skin, made more exquisite as the moon light caressed him. “I mean the ladder!” He hissed, still grinning.

OKAY… I considered about it for a second and suddenly I was petrified. “What d’you want?” I hissed back exasperatedly.

“The ladder!”

Not the answer I was looking for but what the heck!

I, with sheer apprehension, grudgingly lowered my hair… err… I mean the ladder praying to God that Mom was already asleep.

It surprised me how agile and lithe he climbed the rickety ropes one hand after the other. He made it look effortless; I wondered if I was still asleep and was just in a rather odd dream.

Leon gasped for breath when he reached the ledge and hurdled up the window, then pecked me on the forehead where his pebble hit me.

“Sorry about that.” He flooded my vision with his effervescent smile and I realized I was hyperventilating in front of him. He removed the cap and the glasses right away before he slumped on my bed again.

“And who are you supposed to be? Spiderman or something?” I folded my arms on my waist and managed an aggravated air.

He pressed his lips together, like he was holding back a sneer. “No. I was thinking Romeo,” his gentle but masculine voice rang through my ears.

My heart skipped a beat. I had no idea why I couldn’t desensitize myself with him. It was getting old, really, but I still appeared to be unable to refrain from panic whenever I was near him. My cheeks blazed and I shifted my eyes from the ceiling and to his face to conceal the blush.

“T-this better be good,” I stuttered, sounding more nervous that irritated. “I still need eight hours of sleep if I were to grow taller, you know?”

“You’re fine just as you are.” A melodic laugh left his lips. “I was thinking maybe we could compromise,” said he as the smile faded into oblivion. “Last night, I was thinking of going back to L.A. to confront Nathan. But then, I decided not to. Not just because I’m afraid I might snap his neck if I find him.”

His eyes smoldered as his jaws tensed. Gradually, he took a few deep breaths, then his eyes softened, almost with anguish. “But because I couldn’t bear imagining what you could possibly do to yourself while I’m gone.”

I felt a twinge of pain in my chest. I swore I wouldn’t cause him pain ever again, but I failed. Shame overwhelmed me. He was undoubtedly unreal; too implausibly good for someone such as myself.