› Twenty-Seven / Regretful Looks ‹

Start from the beginning

Carl looked at me with regret and realisation.

He was told.

'It's okay,' I mouthed to him. He shook his head sadly, his eyes drifted to the sky.

›››‹‹‹

"Now we head through the woods. We don't know who they are," Rick stated, veering off of the tracks. My hand was firmly placed in his. Over the past hours we had been walking, I had opened up more and I was definitely more like my old self. Carl was avoiding me like the plague. I, personally, was just trying to keep it all off of my mind. It was easier for me to deal with it that way. We had to focus on the future.

We all approached the fence that separated the people of Terminus from us.

"We all spread out, watch for a while, see what we see, and get ready. We all stay close," Rick commanded before turning to Carl, "want to go with us?"

Carl shook his head, glancing at me for a split second, "I'll go with Michonne."

Michonne raised her eyebrows but nodded. Daryl had already left. Rick had a pained look in his eyes, but it disappeared as soon as it came.

"Alright," he nodded, turning to me. He wore a small smile but it didn't reach his eyes.

"We'll put most of our weapons in this bag, then we'll bury it. Best to be safe than sorry," he explained as he pulled out his Colt Python .357 Magnum Revolver out. It almost appeared as if he didn't want to part with it. I understood what he meant. I took my bronze desert eagle out and handed it to him. He took it and shoved it in the bag along with a red-handled machete and various other weapons.

Daryl strode over to us.

"Looks alrigh'," he said, looking towards Rick and then to the duffle bag in his hands.

"Burying our remaining weapons," he explained while pulling out a Glock 17 and a Beretta 92FS, exactly like Carl's. He held both out as if he was asking me which one I wanted. I decided on the Beretta 92FS, knowing that Rick was brilliant with a Glock 17. I turned the gun over in my hands a few times before slotting it into my holster.

Carl and Michonne appeared from our right, Carl still avoided eye contact with me.

"All good?" Daryl asked the pair. Michonne gave a firm nod and we were on our way.

›››‹‹‹

"Terminus. Those who arrive survive. Follow the tracks to the point where all lines intersect. There are maps at the crossings to help guide you with your journey. Sanctuary for all. Community for all. Those who arrive survive. Terminus, sanctuary for all. Community for al-."

"Hello," Rick cleared his throat, looking at the woman on the microphone. She gasped and looked at us, she was clearly startled.

"Well, I bet Albert is on perimeter watch," a man spoke from the left of us. If we were in a different situation and I knew who Albert was, I probably would've laughed. I kept a face of no emotion on.

"Are you here to rob us?" a confidently man spoke up, walking towards us. Rick shook his head, staring at the guy.

"We wanted to see you before you saw us," Rick added, still giving the man a cold stare. Carl edged closer to me. 

I would've smiled.

"Makes sense. Usually we do this where the tracks meet," the man spoke before clearing his throat, "Welcome to Terminus. I'm Gareth, " he introduced himself with a grin. I furrowed my eyebrows. We could totally shoot down everyone right now and he's smiling at us? I suddenly felt on edge and unsettled.