Chapter 14 - Promises

Start from the beginning

I grunted. “I’ve some errands to do you know? Even nerds get a life one time or the other. Hey, I really can’t come. I’ve to be… somewhere else.”

She replied with a faint hump. “And where is that?” Her tiny voice erupted to a challenge.

“Well…” I covered my mouth with my hand and craned my neck to see if Mom was anywhere near. Coast was clear. “You see, I… I’m sort of going to Leon—ard. Err… to his house; I mean, he asked me to come,” I stumbled with my words.

There was a brief pause. “You mean Leonard Dunn?” She sounded quite skeptical. “Aren’t you two like… mortal enemies? Sarah, are you in trouble? You know what, I’ll go—“

I butted in. “No Becky, he sort of… made it up to me.”

“Are you sure? He got you in detention! Leonard Dunn…” She was screaming so loud with that shrill girly voice that I had to yank the receiver a few inches away from my ear.

“Yep… he is… more or less my b-boyfriend, I think?” I muttered with much hesitation it sounded more like a query as my cheeks suddenly turned warm.

I can hear her gasp loudly then screamed again until my eardrums shattered. “Sarah, oh my gosh! That’s great! Since when? Why didn’t you tell me? Some best friend you are… You’ve got to tell me everything! Promise me!”

“Alright… So, am I off the hook?”

“Absolutely not! You’d come — I couldn’t care less if you drag Leonard along. You better get your cagey butt in here by three, or else…”

“But Becky…” I imitated her version of a persuasive tone.

“Okay, it’s settled then, see you at three!” she said playfully.

“No Becky—“ She hung up.

I breathed furiously. That Matt! Urgh! I’m going to kill him! Sprinkle MSG on him then feed him to the sharks! Where did I put that voodoo doll I made to curse him with a lifetime of catastrophe again?

“Sarah!” Mom knocked on my door twice and just like any other day, came in any way without my permission. “Len came and wanted to give you t-this.” She heaved the large box to my floor. “I said you’re pretty upset so he just left a message.” Mom scrutinized my reaction, then eyed on the sticky note with Leon’s handwriting, haphazardly attached on the lid of the box.

“You should’ve at least let him in, Mom.” I moaned as she left, rather reluctantly.

“Sure, next time hon. So, are you going?” It was obvious that she already read Leon’s note.

“Yes Mom, then I’m going downtown with Becky and her boyfriend.” I added just for Mom to nod absentmindedly, telling me to keep out of trouble.

Once I made sure she was downstairs, I scurried to kneel before the box, the size of an average T.V. My hands quivered as I read his refined narrow penmanship. It was even better than mine. Was there anything, anything at all that I could do better than him?

Sarah,

I’ll explain you-know-what later. Are you okay? Come by at two if you feel better.

xxx

Leon

A smile trailed on my lips on the three little X’s wondering what those meant. Leon was real, no doubt. My cheeks burned when my train of thought swerved to last night’s kiss. Thud! Thud! Thud! The thumping became very loud despite my efforts to snap out of it.