91 - The Plot Thickens

In this Chapter....Athina uses her initiative to give Emily a surprise.....

The following morning, before I met Emily, I visited Alice the pharmacist near my flat, and then put the photos in the back of my phone case, now the photos were also certified they were even more precious. I had been right to ask her and go with my gut instinct. I was very lucky that she was prepared to go out on a limb and do this for me. I gave Alice a grateful hug in thanks before I walked up the hill.

As I made my way up the stairs to my flat, I considered that all the pieces of the plan were slowly coming together and I wanted to have all the bases covered, a piece at a time. I put my key in the door and pushed the door open; I could see that Emily had made herself at home on the sofa.

"I was getting worried," said Emily, "it's later than you said. Is everything okay?"

"Yes sorry, I got delayed. Didn't you get my text?." I looked at my phone to check it.

Emily shook her head.

"Oh, how annoying. The text didn't go through. How odd. I didn't mean to worry you. I just needed to sort something out. I think though, it was worth the wait. I promise."

I walked over to her and gave her a big hug. I was excited to share my plan and the danger just added to it. There was an element of trust here but nonetheless all the components were here to pull it off.

"Right, are you ready for the big reveal?" I asked Emily.

"What's going on Athina?"

"Did you bring Sophia's birth certificate with you?" I was counting on the fact she had.

"I always carry it everywhere with me! I never let it out of my sight. I'm a touch paranoid about it," said Emily.

"I had a feeling you would have it and was banking on that," I responded.

I was pleased that I had guessed right as I hadn't wanted to spoil the surprise, until I knew I had everything in place.

"Why? What do we need it for? It's very precious to me Athina."

"Yes, I know that but this is important," I took her hand, I felt so excited over what I was about to reveal. "we are going to apply for Sophia's Passport. I just think it would be sensible to apply for it. Especially as Jarod hasn't and I am guessing he can't."

Emily looked flabbergasted as I carried on but was just as excited.

"It seems to me that by applying for it, it adds to the fact that you are her mother legally, as you have all the documents. I am just trying to consider all avenues. It might help legally I think, although I'm not a lawyer, it might protect her too having one. I also thought, if you needed to stay out of sight for a while later on and had to stay with relatives, it might be useful to have a passport for Sophia. They haven't applied for one. I also have managed to get certified photos of Sophia and I've got the forms ready for us to fill out."

Emily nodded her agreement to my reasoning, her eyes widening in shock.

"How on earth did you manage to get certified photos?" said Emily, absolutely astonished.

"Well there is a story or two but just lets say I was a bit devious with the photos, so it didn't arise suspicion and in respect of them being certified, a very nice pharmacist who listened to my story and can be trusted, agreed to do it for me," I responded. I felt very pleased with myself and it showed.

"My god Athina, you are resourceful." Emily retorted, making me feel ten feet tall in height.

"It seemed sensible to do bearing in mind everything. Emily, please promise me you just won't snatch her. I know it must be tempting but you do need to build up a relationship with her. This is a precautionary measure, a way of banking documents for the future and protecting Sophia."

"I know that Athina and I appreciate all what you are doing. I would never snatch her. I want her to know me and feel comfortable with me. I won't do anything without agreement from you. Let's fill this in. How exciting, I am actually applying for a passport for my daughter."

It was almost unbelievable the joy she had filling out the form stating she was Sophia's mother. She had not been able to do anything like this and the simple act of describing herself as Sophia's mother brought her such happiness.

"Relationship to child. Mother." The joy filled her face and overflowed into the room.

"Thank you Athina. This means a lot." Emily said to me and grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze, to show how much it meant to her. I

It was such a basic thing that a parent would do and yet she had been denied this. If nothing else, just for that moment, it was worth it to see such pleasure on Emily's face and know I had done the right thing.

Edit 2 Jan 2017

Thank you for reading this chapter, if you enjoyed the story so far or you have any questions etc about the characters or the story , please let me know and please vote, as it means a lot to me and means my story reaches more people on Wattpad.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.

Many thanks for reading my work and sharing my writing journey

Feel free to check out my poems and other works...do let me know what you think.

Kimberley S B Lieb