102 - All that Glitters

Emily was waiting for me when I got there. I felt relieved to see her and as soon as I closed the door behind me to the room. I ran into her waiting arms. It felt so good be hugged.

She pushed me away at arm's length and looked into my face. Tears flowed, I felt so emotional with it all.

"How did it go? Did you make a deal?"

Exhilarated by the whole adventure, I somehow felt unable to speak. So, I pulled out my arm concealed within the robe and raised my hand towards her and showed her the ring.

"You didn't sell it?" I nodded my head as the words flowed back.

"I sold the stone, as you suggested. He replaced it with a CZ whilst I waited. He thought it was a bit odd the request that but I told him I wanted to throw the fake ring in the river in front my fiancé and he accepted that."

"That's a good reason to give. Quick thinking. Let's have a better look at the ring," said Emily, as she studied it, "Wow, it looks better than it did before!"

"I know it's crazy. He gave it a complete clean, so I can say I got it cleaned if Jarod asks but if he ever gets suspicious in any way, I will ensure it gets permanently lost," I couldn't help it but I kept looking at the ring, it seemed to be so much bigger and brighter than before.

"Did you get a good price," asked Emily, as she gestured to help me out of my clothes.

"Not as much as I had hoped for but I haggled and got £7,000. I was hoping for ten." I said, as I took out some of the cash I had hidden in my pocket, whilst Emily assisted me out of my attire.

"Jewellery is never worth as much as we think it is," said Emily, as she then let out a big sigh.

"You get a better deal with second hand jewellery."

I nodded my head. It certainly seemed that way. The difference was enormous but it always seemed special to get a piece of jewellery not worn by anyone else. Yet now I knew how much you lost in value, it didn't seem as sensible. I felt a sigh of disappointment escaping.

"Look, I know you wanted more but it's much better than nothing. I think you need to put that money away into your bank account," said Emily as she rubbed her head in concentration. " Just a thought, does he check or have access to your accounts?" queried Emily.

I shook my head, "No. All my accounts go to the flat, apart from the one he opened for me. So I will deposit the money into my other accounts on the way home. I have already paid a bit in on the way back here, but I think there is a limit on how much cash you can pay in."

"I wouldn't worry unduly, as my Aunt pays in the takings in cash from the Café. It's only if you start paying in wads of £10,000 at the bank on a regular basis that they are likely to report you to the money laundering people, or call you in for a chat. Let's be realistic in circumspect you could have sold a car or anything. People sell stuff on eBay all the time."

I shook my head. "I'm going to spread the money around my accounts though."

"Absolutely, makes good sense. My Aunt always says never put all your eggs in one basket. If you feel you have spread it around and there is no where else you can think to put it, you can always pay the remainder onto your credit card and you can always access it."

"That's a great idea, I will bear that in mind, but I don't think I need to do that."

"Right," said Emily taking command of the situation, "come on, let's get you out of the rest of those clothes and back to Civy Street."

We giggled together as I resumed my previous apparel. I felt like me again.

"So how are you feeling otherwise then," asked Emily, as she looked at me straight in the eye.

"Not bad. I just get so tired."

Emily nodded knowingly. "You should rest in the afternoons before you collect Sophia."

"I know. I know but there is always something to do but I am finding I need to stop more and have a cuppa but the problem is I then find myself falling asleep!" Even the thought of sleep, started
me yawning.

Edit 3 June 2017(P)(A) (L)

Thank you for reading this chapter, if you enjoyed the story so far or you have any questions etc about the characters or the story , please let me know and please vote, as it means a lot to me and means my story reaches more people on Wattpad.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.

Many thanks for reading my work and sharing my writing journey

Feel free to check out my poems and other works...do let me know what you think, it means a lot to me to hear what you think and will help me grow as a writer.