76 - An Ominous Message (Part Two)

I woke ridiculously early in the morning. but I knew I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep. I slowly and carefully, moved Jarod's arm off me as he stirred moving into the middle of the bed as I slid out.

I went into the kitchen and made a cuppa, Ernie would be on security soon and I knew I would be his first call of the day for sure. I just couldn't rest until spoke to him and when the clock hit the start of shift I was dialing.

"Hello Ernie, its Athina, Jarod's fiancé, yes we are fine thank you and you? That's good. Look, I know this is a very strange question to ask, but you haven't let anyone in our apartment we don't know have you? Also have you see Jarod's ex-wife and have you seen her recently?"

As I was in the midst of speaking, Jarod came into the kitchen, nodding his head, guessing what I was doing?

"There was a delivery of a small parcel addressed to Sophia, so you left in the hallway, oh and you are sorry that you forgot to mention it but you were off yesterday afternoon so didn't see us to tell us. No that's fine. Jarod told me you often put parcels in the hall for him, which was very kind of you. We were just wondering where it came from, oh you don't know it was just left on your reception desk. You will ask a colleague but you think he mentioned it was a courier on a bicycle, no that was all and thank you Ernie."

Sophia then skipped into the kitchen and sat down at the table waiting for breakfast.

"Sophia, did you open a parcel in the hallway yesterday, the one with the picture of you and mummy on it"

Sophia nodded, "Mummy rang me, said present for me in hallway. Sophia good girl not naughty. Mummy said for me," and she looked very confused, worried she was going to be told off.

"No of course Sophia, but are you sure it was Mummy on the phone, darling?" but she nodded her head furiously up and down. "What phone was it Sophia?" I said confused.

"My special phone. Mummy often rings me."

Jarod looked at me, that let's leave it, we won't get any more answers from her look.

We went through the motions of sorting out breakfast for everyone but I was left feeling more confused than last night, especially as Jarod said as he left for work.

"Jarod how can she be speaking to Sophia on the phone and us not notice. It doesn't make sense. She must ring on the landline?" I whispered, "we need to know."

"I agree but we don't want her to clam up. Let's take it cautiously. Sophia thinks every phone is special and hers. Athina, I have an emergency key, which I have never used and as far as I know no one else does. How did that photograph find its way here, as it's a mystery I do not like very much".

Jarod then came up to me and put his arms around my neck and drew me to him. Unglamorous as I felt in my gold silky pajamas, Jarod seemed to like them, as stroked the curves of my bottom and kissed me gently on the lips. He pulled me away and looked at me uneasily.

"I'm not happy with these unanswered questions, but at least we know, Ernie dropped the parcel in and no one else came in here."

Then he took his fingers and held my chin tilting it so I had to look at him straight in the eyes as he then gave me a lingering kiss.

"Now, I better be off, are you okay dropping Sophia off to nursery" he queried as I nodded in the affirmative.

"Okay, right, I'll speak to HR, sort out the GP and get back to you by lunchtime okay?"

I smiled at him, "That's fine, thanks Jarod and I'll speak to Tony about the flat," as he smiled back at me.

"Good, we are sorting things," he said as he came back towards me for one last kiss and then he was gone out the door, whistling as he went.

Later I took Sophia to nursery and when I came back from dropping her off, I sat outside in the gardens in the Barbican, and I grabbed my phone and made the call.

"Hello, Tony, any news on the flat deal when it is going through, okay so we should have a definite date within the next month, that's great. No, essentially nothing's changed, I am going to move in here but keep the same plans as previously. I know this sounds crazy, but I just still want to keep my options open Tony, especially now with the baby."

I stood up and stretched my legs and walked around the lake as I continued talking.

"There is something odd going on and until I can work it out, I want to make sure that I have all exits covered. I don't know Tony, but that ex-wife, she really un-nerves me and something really doesn't add up with her. I need to go Tony, keep it under your hat okay. Yes, I know I can trust you. I will be careful. Yes, I will ring you if there are any problems. I have to go, Jarod's ringing me. Speak soon. Bye."

"Hello, Jarod, okay so I can see Dr Vincent tomorrow at 9:30am, yes that be fine, just after I have dropped Sophia off at nursery and you want to come with me, yes I understand, I'll see you later. Yes of course, I won't over do it, I've just been for a walk round the gardens and I am going back now to the flat to put my feet up. Yes, I will take regular breaks but I am not an invalid. I'll speak to you later."

I made my way back to the apartment and made myself a lovely cup of tea. I had just literally sat down and was about to take the first sip.

"Knock, Knock."

I got up and went to the door, I looked out the spy hole but no one was there. A lovely bunch of flowers waiting for me. I opened the door and picked up the flowers. I looked at the card it read:-

"Congratulations on the baby,

hold it why you can,

I am coming after you!"

I let out a huge intake of breath as I dropped the flowers and they fell to the floor, I kept the card in my hand but left the flowers where they were. I shut the door firmly with a bang, slid on the bolts, as nausea cloaked me and rang Jarod immediately.

"Jarod, who have you told about the pregnancy?"

"Just the doctor and HR, why?"

I sobbed, emotion welling up in me as I continued, "well it looks like Theodora knows ..."

.

As I read out the card's inscription....Jarod was lost for words.

E2

If you liked this chapter please do vote (please hit the star) and if you have time to comment that would mean so much to me, as your feedback inspires me to keep writing and your helpful critique is greatly appreciated as I learn and grow on my journey as a writer.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author. Many thanks Kimberley S B Lieb