150 - Flat Lined - Part Two

"I'll help you search the flat," I said to Gemma.

"Just take your time, any help is good but my men here are professionals, remember I'm hoping we find something that can help us bag Theodora once and for all, no matter how small."

"I'm happy to help, if means we might catch her," I said, as I stood up and made my way over to the long kitchen cupboard in the corner. My lips were parched and my throat dry. What I needed was a cold refreshing glass of water. Maybe this cupboard would conceal a glass, as all the other doors had been left open revealing none.

As I pulled the door, my hand slipped on the latex and it swung wide open. A nylon black woven case fell out on the floor with a clonk. I bent down to pick it up. I felt a dozen eyes boring into my back as I revealed the contents within.

"That's a Game Hunting Kit, that's some serious kit there. Everything you need for a kill, to skin and butcher it," said the burly muscled man.

I shuddered and cringed, but still felt drawn to the cupboard as I turned back towards it. My mobile rang and noticing who it was, I answered it. "Tony what's up? Is the baby okay," I asked.

"She's fine. Don't worry you know me, I'll figure it out. I know you are tied up on something important but I'm a bit worried, is Emily with you? Just that she was meant to be home two hours ago and I can't get hold of her and she's not at the office either," said Tony.

"That's strange. Maybe she's stuck on a train or something and can't get a signal. She's not with me." I said.

"I guess so. It's just so out of character for Emily to go AWOL but I guess it's just as you said. No don't worry, I'm fine. The wonders of Youtube, I now know how to change nappies," said Tony proudly, "it only took ten attempts."

"Better than my first go then," I laughed, "Thanks Tony, I owe you one. I'll be home as soon as I can but I might be a while but it's kind of crucial that I'm here. I'll tell you more when I get home."

"That's okay love, I'll hold the fort on condition you buy me a good bottle of wine or two," Tony laughed, "or maybe three, or four."

"I'll pay, I'm good for it. Now I really have to go," I whispered, feeling everyone was listening in.

"No worries, I'm just on Youtube now for how to feed a baby with a bottle. If I get stuck, Mrs Singh will help out. I got it covered," said Tony.

"Thanks for everything, I can see she is in safe hands. Take care of her. Bye." I whispered as I ended the call.

Where Emily could have got to? No doubt it would be something straight forward. Now where was I?

I turned back round to the cupboard door and opened it wider to see what else it contained. There seemed to be woman's black running attire and underneath it as I rummaged around, I could feel something else that was smooth. I pushed the clothing away to one side to get a better look.

"Fucking hell," I gasped. My second swear word of the year! Sorry Nan, rest in peace, she hated me swearing.

There within my hands was a mask. I ran my fingers over the curves and ridges. It looked similar to the one worn in London that fateful night all those months ago. When I was cut with a knife. The mask dropped from my fingers, bouncing three times before coming to a stop on the floor, its eeriness peering at me. I rubbed the scar still present on my arm.

"Athina, are you okay?" asked Gemma, as I looked at her no doubt in a dazed state but before I got to respond, she continued, "we need to leave this place now, as quick as you can."

I nodded as Gemma put her arm around and steered me out of the flat. "Theodora's been seen, we need to get into position, right away. It's now or never."

.

Edit 3 PAL - June 2017

I wonder if before you go, that you might just click the star below, if you enjoyed the words above, and if you want to share your thoughts, just let it flow :-)

Your feedback inspires me to keep writing and your helpful critique is greatly appreciated and helps me to edit my work as I learn and grow on my journey as a writer.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author. Many thanks Kimberley S B Lieb