122 - The Caller

Then Jarod ran at me like a storm. His fists clenched. I cowered trying to push myself into the corner, holding on hand on my face and the other protectively round my stomach.

"You fucking bitch, you planned this all along!" He spat out like venom.

He went to punch me in the face but I moved quicker than him and picked up a chair near the balcony to fend him off. As he advanced closer, I shoved the chair at him, pushing hard. Jarod stumbled, half falling. His flailing hand reached out to the wall and pushed himself upright.

A little out of breath, Jarod shouted out, "You are all bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Then he stopped. There was a surreal silence after the noise. His mobile began to ring and I watched him as he picked it up and put it to his ear. It was as if a movie had been put on pause. He looked at me, with a look of hate and distaste

"Yes" I heard him say.

A coldness flooded over my body. Who was he talking to? The deathly silence in the apartment seemed to make every movement twice as loud, as I slowly edged away from him.

Jarod ignored me, his eyes dark, as his shoulders visibly dropped as he continued talking to the unknown caller.

"I understand completely," said Jarod, as he then placed the phone back in his jacket pocket.

Jarod turned to look at me and I stood there motionless, not knowing what to do next. I held the chair protectively as he moved. He didn't come for me as expected. Instead he opened the patio doors, the curtains blew in the wind, as he walked onto the balcony and grabbed another chair. Maybe he was going to use that to attack me with? I stepped further away, as far away from side as I could.

I watched his every move, transfixed, as he placed the chair to the side of the balcony and stepped onto the chair. His mobile phone rang again.

"Yes," said Jarod.

He put his phone into his front top pocket and placed his left foot onto the balcony edge, holding onto the wall edge, before turning to face me.

"I love you Athina," said Jarod, wiping his left eye. "Remember that. I wished for something different to set us free. Not everything is as it seems. You can't help me. Don't trust Theodora Please tell our baby I loved them with all my heart. I know you will be a good mother."

I saw a tear continue to run down his face but he didn't brush it away this time. What did he mean?

Police sirens grew louder. I turned to look very quickly at Mrs Pattison, who seemed to shake her head from side to side.

As I my face met Jarods, a strange laugh escaped his lips, My blood ran cold, as the main character from The Shinning reincarnated before me as an odd distorted expression filled his face. Half smiling. Half sneering.

Then his face became serious, a rawness made all the angles of his face stand out and I saw him silently count one, two, three.

Jarod turned towards me, blew me a kiss and jumped over the railings.

"No!" I screamed in anguish.

I dropped the chair on my feet, but I was oblivious to the pain as I pushed it away and ran to the side of the balcony. Transfixed, I followed his flailing body as it descended.

I heard him laugh.

Then I heard his screams.

I felt unable to tear my face away, as I watched him fall all the way down. My heart stopped as a sickening noise reached my ears similar to a bag exploding on the sidewalk, as his body hit the roof of a large marquee in the gardens below.

I heard other people's screams, mixed with sirens, as Jarod's body lay with his limbs in disarray, blood oozing all over the cream roof.

My hands gripped the balustrade, with enormity of it all but I had no tears left to shed.

Edit 4 – Sept 2017 PAL

I wonder if before you go, that you might just click the star below, if you enjoyed the words above, and if you want to share your thoughts, just let it flow :-)

Your feedback inspires me to keep writing and your helpful critique is greatly appreciated as I learn and grow on my journey as a writer.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author. Many thanks Kimberley S B Lieb