101 - All that Sparkles...

"No one has ever asked me to do that ever. It's a new one for sure. You haven't stolen the ring have you? I don't want trouble knocking at my door."

I turned to him, with a fake smile as I spoke, "Perhaps I didn't explain myself;" and I paused before continuing, "I only want the ring, so he can see me throw it in the river," I said sharply.

He raised his eyebrows and his eyes stared at me.

"Oh I see. Well that's a different matter," said the jeweller, seemingly happy with that response.

"There is no cost for the CZ that will cost me practically nothing; it's neither here nor there. The ring casing is worth only pennies to me, I'm only interested in the stone anyway. So, I think we have a deal."

He put out his hand to seal the deal and we shook hands.

"How long will it take?" I asked.

"If we do the deal now, around thirty minutes. I take it you want to wait?"

I shook my head in acceptance and he gestured to a seat in the corner and I sat down. It seemed forever before he came back out and becomed me, to come back to the counter.

"I cleaned the ring up for you, whilst replacing the stone, so you can say you had it cleaned if necessary, as the stone will sparkle more than the real diamond."

I slipped the ring back on my finger. It looked even more impressive than before.

"I take it, you want cash," he asked, as again his eyebrow rose higher than the other in query.

Before I had a chance to respond, he started counting notes out in front of me, as I double checked. This was a lot of money and I needed to make sure I had every penny.

"Happy?" I confirmed my agreement with a nod.

"I suggest I put the cash in several brown envelopes, and you put them about your person. Not all in the same place. Often ladies have special places within their robes to conceal."

"Thank you."

He pulled out several envelopes and put the money into them, handing each one to me in turn. I found two pockets I put some of the money in there. Then secreted the rest inside my bag and the top of my leggings.

"So he did you wrong," said the jeweller and looked at me.

"Oh yes!" I said and smoothed the front of my robe so it showed my advanced pregnancy. "he has wronged both of us!"

"That could be awkward in your situation." He said eyeing the robes.

"The money will help me get back on my feet when I have the baby. Alone! My good friends will support me even if my family won't."

"I understand," he said sadly, as he walked over to the door to let me out.

"You need to put the veil back on!"

"Thank you. I forgot." I said, hastily putting it back in place.

"Ready?"

"Yes and thank you. The money will really help me and my baby. More than you could ever know."

"Then I am pleased to have been of service to you. Good luck. Life has a funny way of working out, even if its not how we first expected. I promise you."

I hope he was right for all our sakes.

The jeweller opened the door and I stepped out onto the busy street, then made my way to meet Emily. We needed to piece together the next part of our plan.

.............

Edit 2.1 PAL June 2017

Please vote before you go as it means a lot to me and means my story reaches more people on Wattpad.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.

Many thanks for reading my work and sharing my writing journey

Feel free to check out my poems and other works...do let me know what you think, it means a lot to me to hear what you think and will help me grow as a writer.

Kimberley S B Lieb