126 - A Friend Indeed

As they carried me out of the escalator, Emily rushed along side me, all the time holding my hand with Sophia in tow.

"It's going to be okay Athina. Sophia and I aren't going anyway. We are here right by your side," said Emily her voice soft and soothing.

"I'm not completely sure we are going to make the hospital in time but it's worth a try. First step is to get you into the ambulance love, the staff are ready for us, I've forewarned them to expect us."

As we approached the Ambulance, I tried to get off the stretcher. "Whoah, that's another contraction. Oh my God. Can I have the gas back."

"As soon as we can love, but you stay right there, stay on the stretcher we will manage. We're used to this. It's our job love. Just lay back enjoy the ride. I'll give the gas and air again, when you are in the Ambulance. Safer to stay."

"We will take good care of you. Right, are you ready?"

I nodded.

"One, two, three." As they placed me into the ambulance, Emily followed clutching Sophia's hand.

"Miss you can't come in with her, especially with the little one!"

"You try and stop me! " She screamed and pushed her way forward into the ambulance and sat herself down.

"Athina was nearly killed today, she needs me with her, I'm not leaving this child behind, so unless you want her to have the baby here, I suggest we all get going pronto!" said Emily as she patted the seat next to her, whereupon Sophia jumped onto her lap and Emily just stared at the Paramedics.

He strapped me in whilst shaking his head . Emily had won.

"Right then ladies; it's a full house then, let's get you strapped in, if we can. Over here please," he said before looking a touch grim at Emily, "This is going to get me into trouble. Now, I need you to let me do my job!" He said to her.

Emily nodded in acceptance before he passed me the gas, much to my relief.

As the ambulance man went over to the back doors, I noticed a white tent that had been erected in the street, which I assumed was around Jarod's broken body.

I didn't want to think about it. So, I fleetingly closed my eyes enjoying the calmness of the nothingness just for a moment and blinked the tears away, overwhelmed with the pain from the contradictions coupled with the pain of my broken heart.

As my lids fluttered open, the back doors were in the process of being shut and I took a sharp intake of breath. There staring at me through the gap, was Theodora! I was not mistaken. A wide smile of victory covered her face as the doors slammed shut.

I gasped and before I could tell anyone anything, I felt an oxygen mask cover my mouth. We sped away in the ambulance. The blue lights flashing and the sirens screaming.

Would I get to the hospital in time before my baby arrived into the world?  

Edit 3 - PAL- July 2017

I wonder if before you go, that you might just click the star below, if you enjoyed the words above, and if you want to share your thoughts, just let it flow :-)

Your feedback inspires me to keep writing and your helpful critique is greatly appreciated and helps me to edit my work as I learn and grow on my journey as a writer.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author. Many thanks Kimberley S B Lieb

I'd like to thank all my Wattpad friends for making my writing journey so much fun :-)