Chapter 30: Jack's POV

When the darkness surrounds Leo, I immediately know I have to save him. I put my hand on his shoulder and take in the darkness. I knew I couldn't save Patricia. It kills me that I couldn't save her. I couldn't have gotten to her in time. I couldn't let Leo die either. I can only watch in horror as the darkness completely consumes Patricia. The only thing left is her wand. Once the darkness leaves Leo, I remove my hand.

"YOU KILLED HER!" Leo screams at Sofia. "YOU HARMED MY SISTER!" Leo sends blue fire at Sofia, but Sofia makes an ice shield to block it.

"Now now," Sofia says. "You cannot defeat me. You don't even know how to. Even if that fire hit me, it wouldn't have done anything. I'm invincible."

"That's bull," I say. I send dark magic at Sofia. It hits her but she remains unfazed. I lower my wand.

"I told you," Sofia says. "Next time, give me a bit of a challenge."

Leo chucks his sword at Sofia, but she grabs Ember and they teleport before it hits. It disappears. Leo kneels down and picks up Patricia's wand. He hands it to me.

"I'm done losing people," Leo says. "I'm absolutely done."

"Even with this elaborate plan that we actually thought out, Sofia still managed to kill one of us," Xander says. "I don't think the lack of planning is our problem anymore." Leo looks at him. Xander puts his hands up in surrender. "Leo, you know I'm right."

"Then I'm out of ideas," Leo says. "Someone else lead because the only thing I've been doing is getting people killed." He seems to have thought of something.

"Leo, what is it?" Scarlett asks.

"She wants me," Leo says. "I - Xander do that signal thing again."

"Why?" Xander asks as he start to make it.

"Leo no!" Scarlett exclaims.

"Don't do this," I say.

"Jack, you of all people know this needs to be done," Leo says.

"So I'm just supposed to accept you sacrificing yourself?" I ask. Leo nods. "Well I don't."

"Then I guess we're not friends," Leo retorts. I'm taken aback by that. Leo looks at Xander. "Do it."

Xander makes the signal and Sofia appears with Ember again. She's about to attack but Leo steps forward.

"Take me. I won't resist," Leo says.

Sofia smirks. "It's about time you see things my way." She grabs his arm and Ember and they teleport away.

Scarlett sends ice, but they disappear. Scarlett glares at Xander.

"You did this!" Scarlett yells at him.

I expect Patricia to step up but then I remember she's dead. I look at her wand in my hands. I then step in front of Xander between him and Scarlett.

"He was just doing what Leo said," I say.

"Leo just ended his friendship with you," Scarlett says. "Yet you still remain loyal. Why?"

"He's going to survive," I say. "There's no doubt about that. Now we need a plan to get him back."

Scarlett looks at McKenna and Xander then back to me. "What did you have in mind?" Scarlett asks.