Chapter 5: Elysia's POV

"But I thought they were different kinds," I say.

"They are," McKenna says. "They've been friends for a long time."

"So-" Abigail starts when someone pounds on the door.

"Hide," McKenna orders us. She points on the balcony outside and we go and hide behind the furniture. We see McKenna open the door and hug someone. We can't see who it is.

"Elysia can you listen to what she's saying?" Abigail asks me. I nod and close my eyes. An electrical ball is in my hand, repeating what is going on inside.

"How are you today sweetie?" a woman asks.

"I'm great mom, how are you?" McKenna asks.

"I've been better. Is Jack home?" her mom asks.

"He was but then left," McKenna says.

"Okay well I have to leave in a few for a leader meeting," McKenna's mom says. "We're discussing what to do with the Aguamites. Speaking of Aguamites, how is Jack doing after Cassie's departure?"

"He looks okay," McKenna says. "But then again he doesn't really share his feelings."

"I'm worried," her mom says. "Honey, there are kinds on the other side of the world and word has spread that they are here. If you see them, call me immediately. We don't know if they're friendly or not."

"Why assume they're not?" McKenna asks. "You don't know what they're like."

"McKenna what aren't you telling me?" her mom asks.

"Nothing," McKenna says.

"You've been spending too much time with Patricia," her mom says. "I'll see you later."

The door shuts again and we hear the balcony door open.

"She's gone," McKenna says.

Abigail and I stand up. "Was that your mother?" Abigail asks. McKenna nods. "She seems strict."

"She's a little intimidating at first, but once you meet her, she's lovely," McKenna says. "But I don't know how safe you guys are here. If my mom is uneasy about you guys then that means all Shadowers are."

"We can hold our own," I say.

"But we don't want a fight," Abigail says.

I shrug and Abigail slugs me. "I'm kidding." Abigail rolls her eyes then looks at McKenna.

"Could we go and explore New York?" Abigail asks.

"You'll have to dress differently," McKenna says. "I have can change your clothes you two are wearing."

"Black?" Abigail asks. "I don't know. I prefer white."

"Well you're going to have to deal with it," McKenna says. She waves her wand and our clothes turn black. "There. Ready now?"

"I guess," Abigail says. "I feel really weird in this."

"Stop complaining," I say. "Lead the way McKenna."

We follow McKenna down to the lobby of the building then we walk outside. The air just feels colder and gloomier for some reason here. I guess I'm just used to the hustle and bustle of Berlin. We make our way down the streets. I admire all the tall buildings. "This city is beautiful, McKenna."

"It could have more colors," Abigail says.

"You just can't be pleased can you?" I ask Abigail.

"You've seen London! This is nothing like that!" Abigail exclaims.

"I'll say," I point to a group of people crowded around something. We hear shouting. "Definitely never saw that in London."