Chapter 17: McKenna's POV

Elysia runs off and I stand facing Ember.

"Ember, do you want Sofia to win?" I ask. She shakes her head no, trying not to attack me as long as possible. "Then help me. Use your light magic and shut out the darkness long enough to tell me something useful."

"I can't hold it away forever," Ember says. She makes light magic surround herself. "I can tell you what I know before I lose the freedom from what is controlling me. There's a prophecy that Sofia is trying to find. It is the one thing that will make her lose, but also the one thing that will make her unstoppable."

"Make her invincible?" I ask. "How?"

"It's embedded with magic from a kind long lost and forgotten," Ember says. "They were the ones who made Supremos indestructible."

"That doesn't make any sense," I say. "The Supremos were defeated by the kinds in Europe. Unless-"

"That's what was passed down in the history of Europe," Ember says. "It took one person from each kind to do it. No more and no less."

"So Sofia wants to find this prophecy because it'll make her indestructible," I say. "What's the catch?"

"With the right ingredients, she will die," Ember says.

"What are they?" I ask.

Ember's light magic begins to fade. "I don't know - the magic is - fading. Australia-"

The light magic disappears and she is about to attack me, but I create black smoke to fog her vision. I take off sprinting and hide behind a building. I open a viewing portal and I see Jack.

"Jack!" I exclaim.

Jack looks at me and then I see Leo. "McKenna? Where are you?" Jack asks.

"Barcelona, Spain," I say. "You will not believe what I just found out."

"What?" Leo asks.

"The prophecy. Sofia is going to use it to become indestructible just like the Supremos did before they were defeated," I say. "They became that way from an old, forgotten kind. No one knows what happened to them, but contains their magic that Sofia needs. The catch is it also tells how to defeat her."

"We need to find it then," Jack says. "Where is it?"

"I didn't get an exact place," I say. "Just Australia."

"Wait, long lost kind?" Scarlett asks. I can't see her through the portal. "I've never heard of that."

"Well then that means they really are gone," Leo says. "What magic did they have, McKenna?"

"I don't know," I say.

"Where did you get your information from?" Jack asks.

"Ember used light magic to stop the darkness to tell me all of this," I say. "You guys have to find it before Sofia does. Maybe it will tell us why she's destroying kinds."

"I thought she was just psychotic," Leo says. "I didn't think she needed reason."

"She doesn't," Jack says. "No matter what it was. She doesn't get a reason for what she did. Especially to her family. She didn't love them. It's too bad they had to die because of Sofia."

"They? Sofia had more than one kid?" Scarlett asks.

"Her son is named Trent Ewer," Leo says. "And it's my fault he's dead."

"No it's not Leo," Jack says. "You were aiming straight at Sofia, she just teleported out of the way before it hit her. It-"

I see Ember looking for me. I close the portal before Jack finishes and go into the shadows to avoid Ember.