Sixty Two

Not edited.

Please vote and/or comment. 

I'm so sorry for not updating sooner. Writer's block and whatnot.

Sixty Two

Zoe

I was sitting next to my newly husband under 'our' tree. The same tree where he gave my necklace. The tree where he promised that even after he's gone, he will always be with me.

"Thank you for doing this, Zoe." Jace said as he hugged me to him. Ever since we got married two days ago, he hasn't stopped smiling. It makes me proud to have done something or been part of something to make him happy.

I played with the new ring on his finger matching mine. Jace wanted to at least have something to take it with him. He also wanted the wedding to feel a little bit like a normal one. That's why he went and bought a pair of rings with the letters 'J' and 'Z' engraved on each one.

"Anytime, Jace." I whispered.

"And sorry," He added, making me look at him puzzled. "For not giving you a dream wedding."

"What?" He gave me the chance of marrying the most amazing person in the world. What is he talking about?

"I just..." He started. "I wish it hadn't been so rushed but at the same time, I'm glad it happened the way it did. I wouldn't like to have that taken away from you."

I remained silent for a while as I listened to his heartbeat. "You know, none of those things matter when you're marrying the one you love. Not the dress, not the food," We chuckled at that. Jace wanted to have a BBQ so we had it. "Those things are nice of course but I married you because I love you. Not because I wanted to have a wedding." I explained myself. I know that still troubles Jace even when we knew the consecuences when we made the promise. We were conscious of it.

"I'm glad I met you. Thank you for being you." Jace whispered and kissed my temple.

"I love you, Jace." I whispered.

"I love you too, Zoe." Jace sighed. "We should get back. I need some sleep."

I stood up abruptly. "Sorry, Jace. I lost track of the hour." I apologized. Stupid me! I should've realized the time.

Jace chuckled. "Don't worry, Zoe. I'm fine." He promised. We started walking back to his house. It was a short walk but almost when we arrived to the house, Jace seemed to slow down a bit. "Shit." He hissed under his breath.

I panicked immediately. "What is it? Are you okay?" I asked right away.

"I'm okay." He told me and then looked forward. "My brother's back."

I froze just at the words 'my brother'. I tried to calm myself so Jace wouldn't suspect something. "What do you mean he's back?" I asked him in the most innocent tone I could muster. I was curious as to why Eric is here. Wasn't he supposed to be at work?

"He's moved back." He simply said. I felt bad for making him explain when he's obviously overall tired. When we made it to the house, Mrs. Smith was in the kitchen with a cup of tea in front of her. She didn't even seem to notice the cup. She looked in obivlion. "Mom?" Jace called her.