Chapter Seven: Crescent Moon

Start from the beginning

“Dude, I’m sorry, but I was kind…sick.” I tried to apologize. I rubbed the dirt off my face as I felt my bruises twinge in pain. 

“Human?” The little man asked as he looked down and studied me. “She’s ugly enough to be one.” 

This made me flush as I smiled and said, “And you’re tiny enough to be an insect.” 

“Yes,” Drake interfered before giving me a sharp glare, “she’s human.” 

“She’s helping us to get home.” The fawn girl explained with a big smile. 

The fawn boy actually stood between me and the little man. Oh come on, I could take that little insect on. 

“She born with sight? Or this girl the one I’ve heard so much ‘bout?” 

I looked at Drak to see a nervous smile playing on his lips. Why did I have a feeling that my new found fame with the faeries had something to do with him? 

“Yup,” The fawn girl, again, explained. 

“Yes, now we really do have to get going. Again, I apologize.” The little man seemed content with this and walked off after spitting on my cheek. I had the childish urge to stick out my tongue at the little man. 

Instead, I got up and got the dirt off my jeans. “This is your fault.” I said to Drake. 

“How did you deduce that?” Drake asked as he flew around my head with his eyes scanning the crowd.

“I didn’t have any of these faerie problem until I met you! I could ignore them and they didn’t even take note of me! I was invisible!” I yelled as I followed him around the market. “Why does everyone seem to know about me, huh Drake?”

“Rumors. The trees talk all the time and it’s not like you’re discreet when you get into one of your hero ravings.” He told me even though he wouldn’t look me in the eye. 

I stomped my foot, not caring if I acted like a two-year-old. “You good for nothing, evil little midget, pain in the butt maggo-”

“Hello dearie,” a wrinkled faerie with black wings and a large nose said to me with a yellow-toothed smile as I tried leaning back, “would like a charm? It’d do you some good against unwanted male advances. Or I can give you one to lure a man, sweetie.” 

I tried to put some distance between us, but she grabbed my arm with her yellow, wrinkled skin. “N-No-”

“Thank you, kind lady, but my ward needs nothing.” 

She arched a fuzzy eye brow. “Oh? Then do you need something, Ser Drake?” He twitched as he glared at the old woman. She grinned before patting me on the cheek. “Be weary of this one, he likes long hair.” She warned with an evil grin. 

“What was that-” 

The fawn boy stepped between us. “I’m pretty sure that we need to go this way so we can avoid the other venders and to find our home.” 

Pretty sure?” I asked as he smirked at me. 

“Tis better than saying we have no idea, correct?” 

I nodded and relaxed as I followed Drake through the crowds. “So what was that, Ser Drake?” 

“Do not waste another thought on it.” Drake warned me as he, again, refused to look me in the eye. 

“No, seriously, Drake I think I should know since you’re my lovely guardian.” 

Drake’s shoulders tensed. “Matty…”