4

4
KIM JIYEON
2 Days Later

Great! Just great! Imagine this: I am walking home from my favourite place in the world at half seven in the evening. It's a calm evening, it's not as busy as it should be. Everything is peaceful.

But when I get home, or what's left of my home, everything is wreaked in havoc. There are people screaming from inside the apartment complex, and all I see are bright orange flames leaping out of the windows of all of the apartments from mine and above.

Isn't that just amazing? The ideal way to start your weekend.

Well, there goes my home and everything in it as well as about six other apartments owned by my flatmates. I try my hardest not to cry and push through the crowd of people to get to one of the firefighters.

"Excuse me! Hey!" I try to grab their attention over all the chaos. One of them finally turns to look at me.

"Miss, excuse me, we're trying to find out who's house this is!"

"It's mine! It's mine, you idiots! Now tell me how it caught on fire!" I yell at them in frustration. I didn't mean to get mad, but it's almost impossible not to when your apartment just burnt down completely and you have no idea how.

"Oh well - wait what? It's your apartment? Miss, please go over to my colleague over there so he can ask you a few questions. I'm sorry about your apartment." He says, in the most monotonous voice ever.

I grumble in response and make my way over to the guy he directed me to.

After he asked for my name, where I went, and other random shit that would supposedly help with retrieving my belongings and finding the cause of the fire, he finally let me go.

But then another firefighter came up to me. "Miss. Kim?" I turned to face him. "There's currently nothing we can do about retrieving your home, if that wasn't evident, but we did manage to save this little guy and some belongings." He held out my beloved baby husky.

No way. How could I forget?! If I wasn't feeling guilty then, I most definitely was now.

"Oh no! My sweet little guy! Grey! Oh, I'm so sorry!" I had only had him for a year, and he was one of the best things that has happened to me - I felt so bad about forgetting him.

Grey only quietly grumbled as I snuggled him.

"Also, Miss Kim, we have concluded that the fire started from the over-decorating of the inside of your apartment. The electricity use was going overboard, and your puppy must've interacted with the lights in some way to spark them off. Luckily, the other apartments have decided not to press chargers because they know it was an accident, but I think it would be best if you go and apologise anyway."

"I know," I snap at the firefighter. Don't you hate it when you're just about to do something and someone tells you to do it? I sighed. Okay, so maybe decorations weren't the greatest thing in the world.

"Sorry. Do you have a place to stay?"

"Yes," I answered before I could change ny answer. I knew that if I didn't have a place to stay, the firefighters would take me to a hostel for people who have no home any more, or for people who are waiting for their home to be built. But I was too awkward to go along with everyone else, despite knowing my flatmates for some time. Maybe I could find a motel somewhere after I pull up some money at a cashpoint.

The firefighter just nods as he walks away and lets me apologise or console the other people. After I'd finished, everyone started to clear from the scene so only Grey and I were left. Finally departing from the entrance of the apartment complex, I only managed to walk a few metres before sleep enveloped me, Grey preventing my cheek to smack the ground by leaping out in front of my.

"Goodnight," I whispered to him, my exhaustion causing me to dismiss the fact that I was alone in an empty street, almost unconscious.