1

1
THIRD PERSON

Kim Jiyeon wasn't the luckiest of girls growing up. She had everything that a child could ever want, sure, but that was beside the point. She didn't want the expensive toys that every child would go green with envy for, and she didn't want someone tying her hair for her and dressing her all the time when she could do it herself.

All she wanted was her parents. Her mother and father were always either busy with their work, or arguing. Sometimes, when she was unlucky enough to witness one of their fights, she would run up to her room and block out the shouts and screams. Once, her father accidentally threw a glass frame at her head, and she had to go to the hospital. Jiyeon was terrified of her parents, that was one thing she was sure of.

But there was more to the story than that - Jiyeon's mother wasn't her real mother. When she was younger, her mother left her father and she still had no idea as to why. Her life goal was to find her mother. All the time that she'd read her father's diary in secret, she'd read about what a kind and caring woman her mother had been. Jiyeon wanted her real mother, not her step-mother, not the one that would order her about as if she was Cinderella.

By the age of eighteen, Jiyeon moved out and brought a small apartment with the money that had been saved from her earlier birthdays and special events. Of course, she hated using her parent's money, she planned to pay it all back before her next birthday - it wasn't that much for an apartment anyway.

So there Jiyeon stood in the middle of the snow and eyed the dull house at the end of the street. She had never seen anything like it - a dull house in December. 'How could that be?' She thought to herself.

When she looked around, every store, every restaurant, every bar, every house and every other building had some sort of decoration on it, but this house had nothing. It was as if no one lived there and it was haunted, but Jiyeon knew that certainly wasn't the case because there was a flash of light seeping out of the windows from one of the rooms on the side.

She felt bad. Could this person not afford Christmas lights? Completely disregarding the fact that the person who owned the house may not have celebrated Christmas or liked lights, she found herself in front of the nearest hardware store - after all, she could be making someone's Christmas special, right?

-----

Jiyeon came back to the house quickly and set all of her stuff down onto the snow covered grass. She hung two lanterns with reindeer cut-outs at the sides of the canopy and pumped up a blow-up Santa, which she laid on the grass. She placed a huge golden reindeer on the centre of the front yard and completely draped the house in golden lights.

"Perfect," She hummed to herself.

But before she could process what was happening, she felt a firm grip on her left wrist, preventing her from folding down the random ladder she borrowed-without-asking from one of the neighbours.

When she turned around, she saw a guy who was holding scissors and looked as if he was ready to murder someone. Whoops.

"What the fuck are you doing to my house?"