Chapter 10 - The Lockers of Doom

Start from the beginning

We walked in silence until we reached my locker, where he excused himself with that agonizing melancholy still in his eyes. I watched him go, wanting to comfort him — tell him that I would listen; that everything would be alright. I needed to stop him, all the same I couldn’t bring myself to even touch his hand for the fear that I would crumble once I do.

“Nerdy!” Matt Adams appeared as I bolted my locker. His lips stretched to a grin apparently pleased that he succeeded to frighten me as always. “Who’s that?” said Matt cocking his head to Leon who just disappeared along the crowded hallway through the tangle of students.

“New kid,” I said distantly as I made my way to my home room, Matt still treading beside me.

“Your friend?” he muttered nudging his way through the morning chaos.

I hesitated. “I guess.”

“Okay... So is he like your special friend or something?”

“I think that’s none of your business, so just get lost, will you?” I blurted before I could reflect if it was the wisest choice of words.

He snorted darkly, his dark intense eyes smoldering. The arrogant smile was replaced with anger. Only now did I realize how immense and tall he is. I could see his jaw tensing from one side to the other as his large fists clenched.

“None… of my business,” he echoed my words with much fury and exasperation, he was literally shaking when he took two lungfuls of breath.  He raised his huge, strong arm and swung to my direction.

My eyes involuntarily shut tight at the anticipation of impact and all I could think was how the school nurse would put the parts of my head together when he was done with me. Fear struck my core and the thought of antagonizing Matt Adams froze my heart for a few seconds.

To my relief, the excruciating pain of his blow did not come. All that I could comprehend was the deafening crash of his hand against the nearest locker. The thin sheet of metal that used to be Miranda Videbeck’s locker door knocked down on the floor with a loud thump, dented; no, just about scrunched up.

The commotion along hallways seemed to cease now. I could feel eyes piercing through me and it only made everything worse as my heart pounded in my temples.

“So that’s how it is...” he glared at me, stepping a little closer, perhaps to intimidate me, shuddering with rage.

I flinched mustering all the courage I could conjure to finally make a stand but was too terrified at the possible consequences. Finally, I met his glowering eyes and even managed to straighten my stooping stance.

“Yes, that’s how it is...” My voice sounded astoundingly firm considering that I was trembling with fear.

Since the first grade, I’ve been bullied by Matt Adams. I could not endure it any longer; having to do his homework and projects day by day and having to put up with him. My life should have been easier if not for him. I could be Sarah, not Nerdy, but he just had to devastate everything. He just had to flush The Little Prince in the toilet. He just had to destroy one of the last few effects that reminded me of Winfred’s brief existence in my life.

Matt filched my arm and dragged me along the corridor, through the gawping maze of students. There was a menacing scowl on his face and I knew I would not stand a chance against him. However, I resolved to get this over with once and for all.

“Sarah!” Becky called as she pushed forward to my direction. There was a hint of apprehension in her eyes, but mostly terror for my sake.

I desperately struggled to thrash Matt’s massive grip from my arm. “Becky!” I cried.