32

Harry spends all day walking her to classes and he even eats lunch with her. And by the time school ends, he's fed up with it all. He just wants to leave school and go home because he's miserable as hell. He thinks his friends are assholes. He understands that they did this to set him up, but he doesn't want this. His friends don't know he doesn't want this but nevertheless, he doesn't want it, and he makes a break for the school doors after his last class.

"Harry!" He longs to keep walking and ignore this voice. But it's hard to when the person is now tapping on his shoulder and whispering in his ear. "Harry."

He turns around to see it's her. "Hi." He says painfully.

"Can I talk to you for a moment?"

"Uh... okay." They maneuver out of the crowd and off to the side near the lockers.

"I really want to thank you for walking me to all my classes today." She says. "That was very kind. And I know you're cool and popular and captain of the soccer team, so you're probably used to getting any girl you want but I'm sorry, I-"

"I don't like you." He blurts out.

"What?"

"I... I don't like you. My friends kind of.... lied."

He studies her face and finds she doesn't seem angry at all. Not even a little. Just the opposite, she's more shocked than anything.

"Oh wow, I'm so glad you said that." She sounds relieved. "I wasn't sure how to let you down easy."

"W-what?" Harry stutters. "Y-you don't like me either?"

She shakes her head. "I only agreed to let you walk me to my classes so I wouldn't embarrass you in front of your friends. I don't have time for a boyfriend. I am a senior this year and I'm focused on staying on track for college. That's all I'm worried about."

Harry just smiles. His reason is totally different. Plus, he's not really prepared for college. His foster dad doesn't want to force him to go either, though he wishes for Harry to become a police officer just like him. "Th-that's good then. So everything is okay between us?"

"Of course. And we'll still be friends, right?"

"Definitely."

She smiles and pats his shoulder once. "Well, I'll... see you tomorrow then."

"Okay."

And they go their separate ways.