Maybe faith, hope, and God are real. Maybe God is doing this to me because he knows everything will be all right. Who am I kidding? I think. He took away Kenton, He took away dad, and He doesn't want me to be friends with Periwinkle, Freddy, and Jessie. He's allowing me to be broken, bruised, and depressed. How can God be real if my life is in ruins? There is no hope, there is no faith, and there is no God.

            As I think deeper into the thought, I'm more persuaded with the realism of life. There's no God, there can't be a man in the sky with magical powers. If there is, why did he kill my fiancé? Why did he kill my father? Why is he making my life a living hell?

            My palms come towards my face to hide the tears escaping the dread that I'm left in. I don't see why there should be a God, when all He does is cause trouble, cause hurt to those around everyone.

*~*~*~*~*

My doorbell rings and I walk away from the stove to the sink area to wipe off my hands from the grease rubbed into my skin. Afterwards, I stroll to the front door and as I get halfway there, I call, "Coming!"

            When I open it, I see my mother's smile big and bright and shift my eyes to the twenty pound turkey hanging from her grasp. Behind her is none other than Lipchits with a shy grin and his hands full from turkey pans and grocery bags. I open the ingress wider to allow them inside. "We're having a nice Thanksgiving dinner," she states.

            "Wait, what?" I close it as I catch up to them as they're already in the kitchen. "Aren't you two supposed to be on your honeymoon?" Helping them unload the food inside the fridge and around the counter, I lean against the sink and look into my mother's beautiful bright brown eyes.

            She turns to Lipchits. "Sweetheart, can you please get our bags?" He nods and leaves out the door. "We had our honeymoon when we got engaged; we went to the Bahamas. Besides, we're both old people who already been on many vacations. Especially him; he's been married three times, well make it four to include myself."

            "But what are you doing here?" I inquire, feeling confused.

            She puts her hand on mine and says, "I've missed six years of my own daughter's life without being connected to her while she's on the other side of the country. I'm not going to miss a Thanksgiving with you sweetie." With that, she walks away into the hallway and spins around to find the guest bedroom.

            "It's inside that small entry with the open bathroom door, mom!" I place my hand on my forehead in frustration and grab a glass to put some water it in it.

            "Ah, thank you!" The front entrance opens and I hear the sound of wheels on the tile floor rolling through the house. "Lipchits, it's over here," I hear my mother call as the sound fades away, probably now being wheeled onto the carpet. Lauren's black heels hit the floor as I listen to them getting louder and louder as she comes closer to me. "Don't worry, darling. We're only staying throughout Thanksgiving weekend, and then we're heading to California."

            "Wait, so where were you living all this time?" I question, taking a sip of the water in my hands as I lean against the counter again.

            "I was staying with Lipchits; he has a house up here in New York and now he's selling it to live with me." As she says that, Lipchits comes inside the kitchen area and claps his hands together.

            "We're moved in." He smiles, then pointing behind me. "Your food is burning," he says.

            "Oh," I say, running to the pan of meat, turning the knob to shut it off but the knob gets unscrewed and the pan bursts out into flames. I can't hear anything over the sound of the smoke detector, but once I see the cloud of whiteness, my head turns to the side and notices Lipchits in a defensive position while holding a fire-distinguisher.