Paranoia

(a/n: I'm really bad about writing myself into holes, p.s. any part after this that says unedited next to it had not been updated and may have lots of plot holes and other issues)

I sat in my living room, playing with Jax. The energetic puppy had sort of become my dog, much to Molly's annoyance. Since I was home all day, every day, it was only natural that I hung out with him the most. My new younger sister - who I honestly considered to be my sister at this point - barely hung out with the puppy anyway.

My mom was working from home these days to keep an eye on me, but today she had to go into the office. So, it was just Jax and me at home alone. Mrs. Wentz wouldn't have left me here by myself if I hadn't insisted that I was okay; it made me so happy to know how much she cared about me.

It was only around noon, but I had already finished all my school work for the day. If it weren't for Jax, I would have gone crazy with boredom. Dallon and Pete wouldn't be done with school for another three hours, and there was only so much tv you could watch in a day. Mr. Wentz had bought the family a new Xbox a little while ago, so now I had something else to do.

Jax eventually got tired of playing and jumped on the couch next to me to take a nap. I wasn't supposed to let him on the furniture, but as long as he got down before anyone got home, it would be okay. The puppy laid his head in my lap while I tried to get the hang of Guitar Hero Live.

After an hour of trying to play on easy and getting booed off stage a couple of times, I gave up and decided to watch more Doctor Who. Watching the episode where Rose, the Doctor, and Captain Jack all travel together always made me wonder why there weren't more fanfictions about the three of them together. I mean, the Doctor and Jack are always joking about the two of them together, and everyone knows about the Doctor and Rose already. It's all there for everyone to see, someone just needs to write it down.

I was suddenly startled by the sound of the mail slot in the front door slamming shut. No one used those things anymore, so I knew it wasn't the mail person. Pausing the tv, I shifted Jax's head off my lap and cautiously walked over to the door.

There was no sign of anybody lingering, so I moved closer, finding an unlabeled envelope lying on the rug. I knew I shouldn't open it, but it was too tempting. I had to know. I used one of my crutches to hobble my way over to the door.

I picked up the blank letter, flipping it over in my hands to make sure there was nothing written on the outside. Upon feeling the envelope, I determined there was nothing dangerous inside, only paper. I knew I should wait for my mom or someone to be home before opening it, but my curiosity got the better of me.

"Jax, if this letter kills me, tell Dallon that Rose, the Doctor, and Captian Jack are my new OTP." I laughed as the dog stared back at me, wagging his tail as I talked to him.

Taking a deep breath, I slid my finger under the flap of the envelope to open it.  It was a regular size envelope, there couldn't be anything life-threatening in it, yet it still terrified me. It wasn't a bomb, it wasn't a knife, but whatever was in here could still kill me.

I pulled the folded paper out of the sleeve with shaking hands. It was just plain white printer paper, with nothing on the outside of it. It was just a single piece of paper, folded into three sections to fit inside the envelope, but it could still be deadly. All I had to do was unfold it and find out what it was.

It could be nothing. It was probably just an advertisement people put on your porch, but those were usually labeled. These thoughts were the same as the "what-if" game that Dallon played whenever he was anxious: possibilities with little to no chance of actually happening. But, with my luck, I worried about things with very little probability.