Introductions

(a/n: how long do you have trouble sleeping before it's insomnia? asking for a friend)

"No, Brendon, just take it. It's an old guitar, and I don't need it anymore." Patrick desperately tried to get Brendon to accept the old electric guitar he had brought over to Pete's

"Pat, I can't take that from you. You could probably get a good amount of money for it if you sold it." I sighed as I sat on the couch, watching the exchange that had been going on for at least thirty minutes.

"Look, I already took it to Josh to see what I could get for it, and he told me he could take it for seventy-five dollars. If you really won't take it as a gift, I'll let you take it for fifty." Patrick adjusted his hat, frustrated that his friend wouldn't just take the gift.

"I don't have that much right now," Brendon seemed to shrink as he realized how much he wanted the old beat-up guitar.

"Then I'll let you borrow it until you do, you can even pay me monthly for it." The shorter seemed excited to be getting rid of the instrument that took up space in his collection.

"Okay, I guess that works," Brendon took the guitar, examining it with wide eyes.

It wasn't the most beautiful guitar ever made, even when it was brand new, but it would work for what Brendon needed right now. The old Fender was dented and scratched from years of use, and the strings need replacing, but my boyfriend looked at it like it was top of the line. His eyes sparkled like they had when I took him to the field as he ran his hand along the pinewood neck.

"Thank you, Patrick. This is amazing." The wonder and amazement evident in his voice.

"Now you guys can really start a band, doesn't Spencer have a friend that plays guitar? You guys should meet up with him." Pete laughed, not even looking up from the game he was playing on his phone.

It had been difficult to discuss if we were ever going to start a band or not, especially since Brendon wasn't going to school. The doctors and Mrs. Wentz had decided it would be best if he finished his senior year online so that he wouldn't be in a high-stress environment. I missed having him in some of my classes, but I loved coming over to see him every day and helping him with his assignments.

"Yea, I guess we could, what do you think Dal?" Brendon looked over at me, silently pleading for me to agree.

"You know I'm game if you are, babe." I smiled at him, loving the happiness on his face.

It had been a while since Brendon had been genuinely happy. The number of medications the doctors had him on usually left him with mood swings and drowsiness. But today, he was having a good day, and I was ecstatic to be a part of it.

"I'll call Spencer and see if we can meet up soon. It's going to be awesome." It was so amazing to see Brendon all bouncy and happy like he used to be.

The raven-haired boy set the guitar down, leaning it up against the side of the couch, before crawling into my lap and peppering my face with kisses. I wrapped my arms around his waist and held him close, wanting to soak in every minute of him being happy. Pete and Patrick settled in on the loveseat on the other side of the room as Pete turned on the tv.

We had been doing this a lot lately, all of us just hanging around and watching whatever was on tv. It was weird not being around my cuddly, bouncy boyfriend 24/7, but I also knew it was better at this stage in our relationship not to be living together. Even still, I missed using him as a teddy bear every night as I fell asleep. My bed was big and empty without him.

It was hard for me not to have him all the time. He filled an emptiness in my life that I had been struggling with for so long. Brendon was so understanding of the way I was feeling, and he stayed on Facetime every night until we fell asleep. It helped not to feel so alone in a house where I had been forgotten.