Showtime

(a/n: I think this book makes more sense now, I've fixed so many plot holes already)

Dallon and I stood backstage side by side. Friday had come so fast, probably because we had most of the week off from school. We went back for the first time yesterday, and the number of strange looks I got from everyone was weird. Though, who wouldn't look at the boy covered in stitches.

Pete and Patrick asked us to basically open for them, even though with a show this small there usually weren't opening bands. The stage crew had set up two stools in front of Andy's drum set with a microphone in front of each. My stage fight had kicked in a little, but I knew that if Dallon saw me freaking out, he would too.

Tuesday we had gone to the music store to look at a guitar for me, but Josh had ended up just giving us an acoustic guitar and bass. We had spent the rest of the week practicing the three songs we were going to play. Dallon taught me the song he had sung to me, but he told me that I should sing it. We worked out bass chords to Nothern Downpour, and at the end, we were going to play Good Riddance, just for the fun of it.

Patrick had given us advice on handling stage fright, though I would never understand how a boy that wouldn't talk to you unless you were Pete could ever go out there and sing like nobodies business. He claimed it was all in the hat, a gift from Pete before their first show. I knew that I would be up there with Dallon and that made me feel so much better.

"You'll be okay. You have more talent in your pinky finger than pretty much anyone else." Pete magically appeared by my side.

"Did you ever ask Patrick out on a date?" I asked him, trying not to think about performing in front of a bunch of people.

"Well, I may have gone a little further than that," Pete blushed as I gave him a weird look, "I may have let it slip that I love him."

"Did he say it back?" I asked cautiously, prepared to comfort him if the story ended badly.

"Well, I think the hickey on his neck speaks for itself." He laughed as Patrick came over and Pete kissed him on the cheek.

"Finally, you don't know how long I've had to watch you two dance around your feelings." Dallon joined us, seeing Patrick and Pete share the intimate moment.

Patrick just blushed, and Pete wrapped his arm around him. Joe walked over and told us the stage was set, and I saw panic flash in Dallon's eyes. He calmed down when I slid my hand into his, and I stood on my tiptoes to kiss his nose.

"Stop being a giraffe so I can kiss you easier." I laughed.

"Oh, I'm a giraffe now. I thought I was a duck." He joked.

"Just shut up and get your guitar, you giraffe-duck." I loved our playful banter. It made my nerves go away.

He slipped away to get our instruments as the lights fell on the stage. As if on cue, Dallon returned, handing me my guitar and allowing me to lead the way out to the two wooden stools. The lights that shone down on us were too bright to see the audience, so it almost felt like it was just the two of us singing to an empty room.

I knew there was no way I could get Dallon to talk to these people; his self-confidence had dropped with his social status. So I took a deep breath and leaned forward slightly, a little worried about what my voice would sound like over a microphone.

"Hey guys, I'm Brendon, and this is Dallon. We're going to play a few songs for you." I hope that didn't sound too stupid.

I looked Dallon in the eyes and tried to act calm, hoping that it would calm him down. He seemed to relax when he realized he couldn't see the audience. It almost felt like it was just him and me. Taking one last deep breath in and out, I started the first chord to Always.