Pity

Dallon sat close to me in our first class of the day as I desperately tried to keep up with Dr. Smith's lecture about god knows what. He seemed more concerned about me than the lecture about the space-time continuum. Everyone else in the room seemed to be focused on me as well, I mean, who wouldn't focus on the freak covered in scars and stitches.

The bell rang and saved me from the torture of other people's eyes. Before I could even pack up my stuff, my doting boyfriend was putting away my stuff and holding my bag. I loved Dallon to death, but the way he had been fussing over me was starting to get on my nerves. I couldn't even get a drink from the kitchen without him jumping up before me. Pete wasn't much better, either. He insisted on doing everything for me, so I wouldn't have to get up. Even Jax seemed to be more careful around me, behaving more calmly than he did with anyone else in the family.

"Dal, you know I can carry my own bag, right?" I asked as he helped me balance on my crutches.

"I know, but you don't have to." He replied as he walked next to me, taking smaller steps to accommodate the fact that I couldn't move very fast.

"I don't want you to be late for your next class because of me." I sighed as he escorted me down the hall.

"Don't worry, babe, my teacher, will be okay with it if I tell her I was helping you." He pressed a kiss to my cheek as we walked, having to bend down to reach me.

I swear I had the sweetest boyfriend ever. How could I be annoyed with such a loving person? He did my homework for me, made sure I was okay, and never got inconvenienced in the slightest. It was hard to believe I was complaining about how nice he was, but I wanted to do something on my own for once. This whole thing just kind of made me feel useless.

"I got it from here, Dal, don't be late." I smiled, pushing up on my tiptoe to kiss him.

"Okay, I'll see you at lunch. Text me if you need anything." He held my backpack so that I could sling it over my shoulders before walking in. "I love you."

"I love you too, see you at lunch" I really did have the best boyfriend in the whole world.

As soon as I walked into the room, a hush fell over the students, and everyone stared at me. I could feel their eyes scanning over me. Hushed whispers began as I hobbled to my desk in the back of the room in between Gerard and Mikey Way. I could only pick up snippets of the conversations that sparked around the room, but the words just made me want to shrink behind the walls I had spent so long building up.

"I heard it was an animal attack."

"Some people say someone did it."

"I feel bad for him."

"Who even is that kid?"

I felt like a circus animal on display for passerbyers to 'ooo' and 'aw' at, like a sideshow attraction. Gerard gave me a slight smile as I tried to tune out the chatter around the room, but his face dripped with pity. I didn't want people to pity me or feel bad for me. I wasn't a helpless kid that couldn't stand up for himself anymore, and I wanted people to see that I was strong.

The teacher asked me if I had finished the work I had missed, but before I could even stand up to take it to her, Gerard snatched the papers off my desk and walked them to the front. He flashed me another look, just like the one he gave me when I first walked in. Gerard was a natural caregiver, he had been taking care of his little brother, Mikey since they were young, so I guess it was instinct for him to take care of me too.

"Thanks, Gee, but I could've gone up there myself." I sighed, silently wishing that people would start treating me normal soon.

"It's not a problem, Bren, what are friends for?" Not treating you like a helpless kid that can't even walk ten feet.