Breaking

(a/n: the **** mark a trigger warning, this one is for self-harm and suicidal thoughts)

School was hard when I couldn't get my mind off him. Every corner I turned, he was there. Every time I looked up, I saw him. He was always sad. His plump, beautiful lips were always down turned into a smile. His eyes were always glazed over, on the brink of tears. Was his school life so bad that he couldn't be the happy little, hyperactive nerd that he was around me? I would have to do something sweet for him tonight after school.

To Brendon:

Hey babe, wanna get coffee after school and then go hand out in the field?

From Brendon:

How do you always seem to know when I need you?

To Brendon:

Boyfriend powers.

The bell rang to signal the end of class, I quickly picked my bag and walked out, being shuffled around by other people. Being so much taller than everyone else in the hallway had its advantages like I could see straight ahead to where Jack and Alex had backed a small frame into a corner. Even though I couldn't his face, I knew it was him. The scruffy hair, the shoulders slumped in fear, it was not the Brendon I knew, but the one I would always fight to protect.

I watched as Jack and Alex pushed him further into the corner. My fist clenched and unclenched at my side; if this were a cartoon, I would have smoke coming out of my ears. All I could feel was love and the anger of someone trying to hurt the boy I loved.

I didn't even notice when the crowd around me dispersed; I just marched right over to where my two former friends were leaning over Brendon's shaking figure. Before Alex could get his first punch out, I grabbed him by the back of his shirt and flung him away from my boyfriend. Jack looked at me startled, as I caught him by the collar and pushed him up against the wall.

"If you ever, and I mean ever, lay a finger on my boyfriend again, I will personally smash your skull in with my foot," I growled, lifting the bully off the ground and pushing him harder against the hard tile wall.

"The dweebs your boyfriend." I heard Alex laugh from behind me.

Harshly throwing Jack to the ground, I turned around to face the shorter guy. Alex had never really been my friend. He didn't know anything about me really, so I would have no problem doing what I was about to do. Dodging his punch, I balled my fist and hit him right across the nose, smirking at the cracking sound it made on contact.

"Now scram fuckboys!" I yelled as Alex and Jack pulled themselves off the ground and ran off down the hallway.

Nothing I had just done registered in my mind, as I turned to pick the shaking figure off the ground behind me. I hadn't realized that Jack and Alex must've gotten a few good punches in before I got there because Brendon had a steady stream of blood running down the side of his head and his lip was busted. I took him straight into the bathroom, setting him on the counter and wetting a paper towel. Wiping away the blood on the side of his face, his eyes were wide as he stared up at me.

"Dally, what have you done? They are gonna tell everyone." Brendon looked up at me as I continued to clean up his face.

"I know Bren, I know. I just was too scared of what they were gonna do because I lo-like you a lot" I threw away the know red paper towel and held his hands as I stood in front of him.

"We could break up, and-and you could play it off as some random rumor." He looked down, playing with my hand as he held it and sniffled a little.

"No Brenny, I don't wanna do that." A tear rolled down my cheek as I squeezed his hand and got closer to him.