Mine

I held Dallon's shaking hand as we walked to our first period. Anytime someone would make a nasty comment; I would just squeeze his hand tighter and keep my chin held high. I pulled him faster through the hallways to our class, happy that we had our first class together. Once inside the room, he followed me back to the corner where I usually sat.

"You'll be fine Dally," I pulled the desks closer together so that we could still hold hands.

"They look at us as if we aren't human Bren. I don't know that I can handle that." A glossy rim formed over his eyes and tears threatened to fall from his perfect eyes.

What Dallon said was true. It was like the end of an episode of Scooby-Doo, where they pull off the villain's mask to reveal the person that it truly was the entire time. The Dallon the world knew wasn't the Dallon I knew. My Dallon was a total nerd that had Doctor Who posters and played the bass, he was smart and sexy, and one hell of a kisser. He was the kind of guy who cried when the dog died in a movie and just wanted to cuddle on the couch. He was perfect, the world just needed to clean their glasses and get a good look at him.

"You will be okay, do you have your earbuds?" I asked.

He nodded and took them out of the side pocket of his backpack. I took them and put one in his ear. Knowing he didn't have as many good songs on his phone, due to the fear that someone might have looked and figured him out, I plugged them into my phone and put the other bud into my ear. In the time before class started we just shared the music and let all the whispers that came from around the room bounce right off.

None of the words hurt me anymore, but I knew they still affected Dallon. Jack and Alex came into the room and sat in their usual seats, Alex looked rather upset, and Jack's lip was still busted from where my boyfriend had punched him. I glanced over to see if he was okay, seeing the people who had been on your side for so long suddenly turn against you was never fun. Dallon just cast them a somber look, before returning to staring off into space.

The rest of class was a blur. Dallon spent most of it staring off into space, and my eyes were glued to him the whole time. Our hands stayed linked together the entire time; my attention focused on picking up on the fluctuations in his grip and heartbeat. I wanted to make sure that he was okay, this was a stressful enough situation and to rub salt in the wound there were murmurs all around the room of what we were doing.

"It's disgusting, it's unnatural."

"I don't know they are kinda cute."

"Poor Breezy"

"Who even is that guy?"

It was quite evident that no one in the room was listening to Dr. Smith's physics lecture. They were all too worried about Dallon and I disturbing the piece in our rigid caste system. Well, guess what? Someone needed to fix that. The idea that you only belonged in one place was terrible, mainly because some kids didn't feel like they belonged anywhere. Do you know how hard it is to feel like you don't belong anywhere? It can drive you to do crazy things that aren't true to yourself. Bottom line is it sucks, and even if our school didn't have groups, it would still exist, and there would always be kids not being themselves just to fit in with the crowd.

The bell rang, and I felt Dallon squeeze my hand tighter. I looked up at him and met with his panic-filled eyes. He was scared because I wasn't in his next class, I wasn't in any of his other classes to hold his hand or sit next to him. That scared him, and I didn't like when he was scared. Dallon was my savior; he was my refuge and my safe-haven. He was supposed to be the strong one, but now he needed to lean on me.

"You will be fine Dally. You'll be just fine." I switched the earbuds from my phone to his and slid his phone into his back pocket. "As I said before, just turn your music up really loud, and you won't be able to hear anyone.