Rhythm

Dallon and I had many short exchanges in the hallway since Monday. Usually, they were just slight head nods or casual smiles, but every time he looked at me my heart fluttered. Right now I was sitting in class, bored out of my mind when I got a text from the one person that never failed to make me smile.

From Dallon:

Are we still on for this afternoon?

It was Wednesday, the day we had originally planned on hanging out. My heart fluttered at the thought of hanging out with him again. Monday afternoon had been amazing, we had watched Doctor Who all day and just talked about all our interests. Then he took me after we would've gotten out of school so that I wouldn't get in trouble. He was such a great guy, and I was head over heels for him.

To Dallon:

Of course, I just have to run home and get my guitar so we can play together

From Dallon:

I'll drive you home to get it, that'll make things easier. Meet me at the back of the school. Jack and Alex aren't giving you any more trouble, are they?

To Dallon:

Awesome and they have been quiet, a little too quiet.

I put away my phone before Mr. Watson could see it. My heart fluttered at how Dallon actually cared about me, he checked to see if I was okay. He was the most amazing guy ever, I picked up vibes that he liked me, but I didn't say anything about it in case I was wrong.

The last period of the day seemed to drag on forever, but finally, the bell rang. I quickly gathered all of my stuff and headed for the door. Jack and Alex appeared in the doorway right as I was about to leave the room, backing me further into the quickly emptying classroom.

"Where do you think you're going, Urie?" Jack snarled shoving my shoulder and making me stumble backward.

"Yeah, we never got to finish that lesson we were teaching you Monday." Alex laughed, punching me in the jaw.

I collapsed back onto a desk, the wood digging into my back. The two bullies seemed to laugh in unison as Jack punched me in the stomach, making me double over in pain and fall to the ground. Alex kicked me in the chest until I couldn't breathe. Even though pain seized my body, all I could think about was a boy with eyes you could drown in. How he would think I was blowing him off all because I was blacked out on the floor of a classroom.

"Lights out, faggot." Jack snarled menacingly, as he lifted his foot to stomp on my head.

Just as I was about to lose consciousness, I caught sight of a certain tall boy in the shadow in the doorway. He had felt what was happening and came to my rescue. That was the last thing I saw before everything went completely dark.

"Brendon?" I awoke to a warm hand rested on my shoulder.

When I opened my eyes, they met a pair of ocean blue-green eyes. Everything started flooding back to me. God, this was embarrassing, he had just watched me get the shit beaten out of me, and then and to wake me from my blackout.

"Don't try to sit up, it's okay. I pulled them off of you and told them to stop, it's not cool for you to do this to you." Dallon rubbed my shoulder and sat down on the floor next to me. "I wish I could find friends better than them, but at this school, you get what you get."

"Y-your friends with them?" I stuttered out, appalled by the fact that not only did Dallon talk to my bullies, but he was friends with them.

"Well yes, but not really. They aren't real friends, just people to talk to so I can make it through the day. I've already told you more about my life in 3 days than I've told them in the past year." Dallon mumbled on, staring at his hands to avoid making eye contact with me. "Anyway, we should get you home so you can get your guitar. That is if you still wanna even talk to me."