Worry

Brendon showed Spencer a couple more songs he had written, and they worked out a drum beat that they both liked, but I was watching my boyfriend the whole time, and he seemed tenser after the phone call. Pete and Patrick were now messing around with some of their own songs, trying to get Brendon to give some input, but he was out of it. He slid into my lap, wrapping his arms around my neck and pressing his head against my shoulder.

"You okay, B?" I asked softly.

"I'm ready to go home, my leg hurts." I knew he was lying about his reason, Brendon never said when he was in pain.

I didn't acknowledge that he had lied to me, just said goodbye to Pete and Patrick and put Spencer's number into my phone. He told me about his friend that played guitar and suggested that we meet with him to try and start a band. Considering Brendon was loosely holding my hand and not saying a word, I politely told the drummer that I would text him to work out a good time. As soon as we were out of the music room, the small figure that held my hand wrapped both his arms around my arm. There was something wrong. Brendon was never this clingy in public, and I would bet it had something to do with the phone call he got earlier.

When we got out to the car, I held the door open and helped him in, acting like a believed that his leg was truly bothering him. I knew he wanted to go home, but I figured I would take him to the music store, to try and make him smile. He was staring at his hands, not looking up at me or anything else. I reached over to try and take one of his hands in mine, but as soon as my hand got close to him, he flinched away. Before holding my hand, he mumbled an apology and readjusted in his seat, tucking the leg that was supposedly hurting up to his chest.

"Are you okay if we go to the music store first? We could check out some of those bands that Spencer told us about." I asked, cautious of Brendon's fragile state.

He simply shrugged and played with my fingers as we drove along. We were already almost there, so I allowed him to mess with my hand as turned down the road to the store. As desperately as I wanted to know what was going on in his head, I knew that something deeper was going on. I just hoped it wasn't my fault that he was upset.

Maybe I said something in front of Spencer that he didn't like, or perhaps he didn't want him to know that we were dating. My mind began to race as I pulled up to the store, what if it was my fault he felt like this? I mean maybe it was the phone call, but what if I made things worse? What did I say? What did I do? I held the door open for him as he walked inside, immediately smelling the signature scent of a music store. He mumbled a thank you before going over to the wall of guitars like he always did when we came here.

I watched as he checked the price tag on a used electric guitar that leaned on a stand below the shiny new ones. It was plain black and the strings needed to be replaced, but he looked at it like it was the best thing in the world. He flinched a little when his fingers ran over the strings, but I could tell that it was all he ever wanted.

"It's only two fifty. I could pay for it if I got a job." He sighed, not letting me tell him I would get it for him.

He walked over to the crates of CDs, giving me a moment to look at the other instruments on the wall. The guitar he looked at when we first came here still sat on the wall, the price had been marked down, and I knew what I was going to do. Tomorrow I was going to come in and get it; luckily Josh was working today so he could put it on hold so no one would buy it before then. My boyfriend was still digging around in the bins, so I took the opportunity to talk to Josh before Brendon saw.