Maddie usually spent her weekends at home, alone in her bedroom, or with her family.  She’d watch TV, read some magazines, and listen to her iPod.  She’d help her dad make pancakes and babysit her little sister, as well as a couple other little kids in the neighborhood.  Not much to brag about on Facebook right there.

Her parents didn’t even want her to have a Facebook—they had seen too many primetime specials about online predators.   Maddie was a little surprised her parents even allowed her to have a cell phone, even though by now, most of the kids in Cassidy’s first grade class had cell phones.  

Facebook was such a farce too.  Every single kid in her class was listed as her “friend” on Facebook, even though some of them she’d barely ever spoken two words to.  Going on Facebook mostly just made her feel bad about herself anyway, and all the fun everyone was having without her.  She should just delete her prof----

“MADDIE!  DINNER!”  Maddie’s mom’s unmistakably loud voice broke her out of her thoughts.  Maddie shoved one last Oreo cookie into her mouth and plodded out into the hall to the table.

When she got there, she glared at her little sister Cassidy, who was already at the table, working on her brown rice with peas.  “You know Cass, you really shouldn’t make such a spectacle of yourself at the mall.  People are going to think you’re trashy.”

Cassidy rolled her eyes.  “You’re just jealous because I made six dollars and you didn’t!”

Maddie’s dad came in and turned on the TV.  It wasn’t a great habit, but Maddie’s family almost always ate dinner in front of the TV.

The local news was on.  “Top news stories at seven.  An armed robbery at a convenience store leaves several injured.  A new baby penguin at the local zoo promises to bring in a lot of visitors this summer.  And Victoria’s Secret announces a new clothing range for teenagers- It’s causing some controversy, with some believing the clothes are too sexy for high schoolers.”

Maddie began choking on her peas.  Her dad had to pound her on the back to get her to stop.

“Sorry,” she gasped.  “Must have gone down the wrong tube!”

This had to be some coincidence, that woman talking to her in Victoria’s Secret and now seeing this item on the news.  It had all been a prank, right?  A mean joke?

Maddie’s dad lifted the remote to try and change the channel but Maddie yelped, “No!” causing him to jump.  “I, uh, want to see the story about the penguin.”

Maddie’s dad shrugged.  “Sure Mad,” he said, looking at her strangely.

Maddie could barely concentrate on her roast turkey while waiting for the Victoria’s Secret story to air.

“And in other news tonight, the famous lingerie giant Victoria’s Secret has announced today that they are introducing a new teenage branch of their Pink collection called Pinkette which will be aimed at high school girls.  The Pinkette line will feature clothing, underwear, and swimwear for teenagers.  The decision is sparking some controversy among moms who think the line is too sexy for young girls.”

Suddenly, the same woman in black who had approached Maddie earlier that day appeared on-screen.  Maddie dropped the fork she’d been holding and peas splattered across her plate.

The woman smiled at the camera from inside an office with walls painted Victoria’s Secret signature pink stripes.  The caption at the bottom read, Ann Sterling, Victoria’s Secret Vice President of Operations. 

“We are so pleased to announce our new range, Pinkette, will soon be hitting stores nationwide,” the woman spoke confidently into the camera.

“For years, this younger age range has been shopping at our stores, so we thought it was about time to design a range exclusively for them!  Our original Pink line is intended for college-age young women.  However, our sales figures report that a staggering number of high school age girls and even younger are purchasing our products as well.  Here at Victoria’s Secret, we’re looking to expand our customer base to a younger demographic.”

The camera cut to shots of moms and daughters browsing inside a Victoria’s Secret shop.

“We’re still in the process of casting the campaign and shooting the range,” Ann continued.  “Pinkette will be introduced to the public in the coming weeks, once final arrangements have been made.”

Shots of inside a Victoria’s Secret store flashed across the screen.  Images of sexy Victoria’s Secret models lit up the screen.  Maddie could see Alessandra Ambrosio, Adriana Lima, Miranda Kerr, and Candice Swanepoel strut down a runway.  She could also see images of famous past Victoria’s Secret angels, such as Gisele Bundchen, Tyra Banks, and Heidi Klum smile, pout, flirt, and tease for the camera.

Maddie sat in her chair frozen, unable to move.  She didn’t even break out of her spell when the news story changed on the TV to a story about politics.

Could that have been real?  OMG!  And I was so rude to her!  I just ran out of the store like that!  But what the hell?  Why was she even talking to me?  I don’t belong up there with those sexy women. 

Maddie’s mind reeled.  Oh my god!  The business card!  Maddie could remember crumpling up the woman’s business card but she couldn’t remember anything beyond that.  Where on earth did I put it?  Oh crap!

What’s in My Purse?

Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balm

House Keys

Sample of Taylor Swift Wonderstruck

$5 Starbucks Gift Card

Pepper Spray (birthday present from dad)

Empty Box of White Tic Tacs

Bath and Body Works Mini Hand Sanitizer in Watermelon Splash

Pink Sparkly Wallet from Target

Every receipt from the last month

Phone with Headphones

Hello Kitty Band-aid

U by Kotex Regular Maxi Pad

Business card???