Chapter 18

18

“Maddie!” Ann snapped, slamming the door behind her.  “What the hell was that all about?”

Maddie froze.  She hadn’t seen Ann look this angry since the day she’d found out Maddie had lied about getting her mother’s permission to be a model.

“I… I don’t know,” she stammered.

“Did you listen to anything I said about being professional?” the older woman barked.  “I hear people laughing and shouting and taking pictures at something on the dance floor.  I turn around and I see that it’s you!  Falling all over yourself making out with that friend of yours!   The crowd egging you on!”

“It wasn’t my fault,” Maddie interjected, not wanting to take responsibility for what Sundance had done.  “She kissed me!” she protested.

Ann looked as though she hadn’t even heard her.  She began pacing back and forth, working herself up into a rant.  “If we wanted another Snooki or Paris Hilton representing our brand, then we would have hired one!” she glowered.  “Victoria’s Secret is classy and respectable!  This isn’t some teenage house party you’re at- this is a corporate sponsored event!  This is your job!”

Maddie just stood there helplessly, afraid that anything she tried to say to defend herself would only make matters worse. 

Ann continued raving.  “That means no underage drinking, no heavy partying, and no make out sessions with other girls!  Do you think Disney wanted to work with Vanessa Hudgens again after her nude photo scandal?” she demanded.  “Do you realize how this looks to the media?  Do you realize we get criticized every day from people who say it’s wrong to sell underwear to teenagers?  That Victoria’s Secret is too sexy for high schoolers and is making girls grow up too fast?” 

Maddie bit her lip, inadvertently tasting some of Sundance’s fuchsia lipstick that had rubbed off on her.  She felt absolutely terrible.  She suddenly regretted ever inviting Sundance to the party.  (But you didn’t invite her.  She invited herself, remember?)

“Do you realize that those pictures will be on every single blog and media outlet?  They probably already are.  All the promotional pictures you did today are going to be accompanied with shots of you making out with your little friend!”

Maddie finally spoke up again.  “It honestly wasn’t my fault!  I swear!” she pleaded.  “I didn’t know she was going to do that!  She just randomly kissed me while we were dancing!  I---“

“Enough!”  Ann held up her hand, looking frazzled.  “You can’t let these kinds of things happen,” she exasperated.   “You have to start being more careful about protecting your image, Maddie.  And our company’s image.  First there was the whole drama when you got hired, now you’re acting unprofessional at events.”  She paused briefly to pat her hair in the mirror.  “I need to have a serious talk with our other executives to decide what we’re going to do about this,” she explained, sounding slightly calmer now.