Competitors

The next day the competitors were announced. Instead of the blank scene that was on the flat screen that was usually in the main hall, there was a list of students in each year competing. Saito completely ignored the screen, but Hitomi stopped and started reading it interestedly. Saito noticed that and walked next to her.

"You're actually interested in this?" He asked with a raised brow.

"Of course. You should be too." Hitomi put her finger on a name on the screen.

Akiyama Saito.

He stared at his name with a dumbfounded expression.

"Looks like you're our cooking competitor." She said happily.

How did that end up there? The only one who knew he can cook was Hitomi and Yui... Who was the class president...

"I should have known..." He mumbled while putting his face in his hands.

"You sound disappointed. Aren't you usually competitive?" She commented, still reading the list.

"Yeah, but not in cooking! I'm gonna be the laughing stock of the school!" Saito furiously yelled, still not believing his sister would do this.

"Does the bad boy find that too good?" She smirked.

"Shut up." He murmured, still angry.

He started reading all of his teammates that he'll have to work with.

"Kimura Hitomi- Singing..." He read out loud in a confused manner.

"Don't sound so surprised! I'm actually amazing!" Hitomi said and flipped her brown hair.

Saito seriously doubted that. Her voice was irritatingly high pitched and squeaky. She could barely change the tone of her voice when she speaks, he couldn't imagine what that would look like when she sang. He shivered at the thought.

"And look who we have for art!" Hitomi chirped.

Taruhako Yoko.

Great, just great.

"Ugh, all I need is her... What about math?"

"What, can't read by yourself?" Hitomi raised an eyebrow.

"No, I'm illiterate." He said sarcastically and read by himself. 

"Who the heck is Okazaki Koiichi? Is that another one we have in class?" Saito asked.

"Nah, other class." Hitomi answered.

"But you seriously need to start paying attention." She added and poked him.

He took one step away uncomfortably, avoiding any physical touch. Hitomi eyed and poked him again, but this time he slapped her hand away lightly. She grinned and started to pet his arm.

"What are you doing?" He asked irritably.

"Annoying you." She answered happily and continued.

"I'm going now." He went away, visibly not happy with her not understanding personal space.

The whole day he spent with Hitomi. 40% of that was them making a competition out of everything, 20% of Hitomi annoying him and 30% of Saito looking irritated.

After school, he actually tried to talk to Yui. That was after he convinced himself that it's not that hard to apologize. Usually, they went home separately. That was because Yui had to go on stupid class president meetings, so she came later. But this time, he waited for her.

When she went outside, she was visibly shaken by Saito's sudden hello. He was, after all, waiting at her in the dark like a creeper.

"Are you insane?! Don't scare me like that!" She shrieked.

"But, I was just waiting for you..." He tried, he seriously didn't see a problem in this.

"Why are you even waiting for me?" Yui inquired.

"Oh, um, I..." He started, but didn't know how to even start.

She raised an eyebrow, wanting him to get to the point.

"You wanted to tell me something?"

She knew darn well where this was going, but she wanted to hear it from his mouth.

"Uhm, I..." He still couldn't spit it out.

"Does it rhyme with agonise?"

"That's quite a morbid rhyme you got there..." He squeaked.

She rolled her eyes.

"Just spit it out."

"I-I-I..."

"Love you?" She finished.

"N-no! I..."

There was a long silence.

"IAPOLOGIZEFORLOSINGMYTEMPER!" he yelled, still quite confused at what he was doing.

He blushed fiercely, and he didn't even know why. He never knew apologizing was this difficult. Yui sighed and smiled at his stupidity.

"I'm glad you-" she wanted to say properly, but she noticed that wasn't quite the right word.

"-Somewhat properly apologized." She continued and walked next to him.

"Man, that was complicated." He stated breathlessly.

"No, you're just complicated." She corrected smartly.

Even Saito smiled. Yui was so glad he was so enthusiastic these days. She just knew he needed a bit of friendship. He did improve his behavior, she didn't remember when was the last time he genuinely apologized. Or even looked so happy.