Chapter 20- This Is Bad

Dear diary,
        Today is dads birthday aka my date with Toby. He would have been 50 years old. I'm glad that Toby is taking me out today so I can get my mind off things. I still don't know what's going on with Jake but I'm determined to find out. Wish me luck.

                                          Sam

"Hey, you ready?" Toby asks coming into my room, I nod. "Yeah, let's go"
-----
We both decided on going to the racetrack so we can challenge eachother. Obviously I'm going to win cuz I'm fabulous.

"You ready to get your ass kicked by a girl?"

"Haha good joke. Let's do this cowgirl" he calls me that because I have a southern accent sometimes even though I'm not even from the south.

3...2...1...GO! The light green light shines, and Toby and I take off. I am in the lead until a person speeds past me. "Jake?!" I shout, he smirks. Then I see Toby coming behind me so I speed up. It was close but I won by a foot.

"What are you doing here?" Toby spats with aggravation clearly in his voice, I don't blame him because Jake just smirked the whole time.

"I didn't know you guys were gonna be here, me and Em are on a date" he says smirking at me and that makes my blood boil. Why the hell is he doing this?!

"Come on Toby, let's go" I say,pulling him by the hand. We get in the car and I drive to Toni's pizzeria.
—————-
"Oh my gosh, that did not happen!" I say laughing, Toby nods as his face turns red.

"Yes it did. And that is why I am scared of balloons" He told me a story about when he was six and he claims that a ballon followed him into his house because when he woke up, it was in his room but then he said that his friend max put it there.

My curiosity finally got to me so I asked "I don't think I've met or heard you mention a max before. Did he move before I got here or something?" I ask, his expression goes blank.

"Hey, it's okay if you don't want to talk about him"

"No I want to. Max was my best friend/ next door neighbor. We did everything together, I loved him like a brother. But one day when we were ten we got into a huge fight so I punched him and vise versa. That fight ended with the words I hate you and I wish that we would have never became friends" He takes a deep breath before continuing.

"When I got the call, I was devastated. His father had driven off a bridge with him and his sister inside. They all passed away. I was so crushed. The last words that I had said to my best friend were that I hated him and I wished we were never friends and I could never take that back. He was gone forever and there was nothing that I could do about it. He would never know how much I loved him because of my last words towards him. Anyways, I went into severe depression and I stopped talking to anyone at all. Then you came into my life and I started interacting with my other friends and my family. Remember when I hugged you and said that it was for being my rainbow?" I nod.

"Yeah"

"Well I meant it. You gave me the strength that I needed. And then when I almost died, when Jake beat me I saw him. He said that he forgives me and that he wanted me to be with you. He's still watching over me after everything I said and did to him. So that was max, my loyal, kind and awesome badass of a best friend" he says smiling

"Wow. I had no idea Toby, I'm so sorry" I grab his hand, he sighs. "It's okay, at least I know that he forgives me and that's how I will live on" I ended up giving him a hug and we spent the rest of the time talking and laughing, we needed this.
-------
We are now at home. I am watching Vampire Diaries. Again. I thought I was okay until this happened: