Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Donghae’s POV

While he was watching Reika and Kyuhyun on stage, he felt it. At that moment, he knew it. That look on Reika’s eyes, he had seen it before; it was too familiar because that was the way she looked at him before. He felt like something was pressing hard on his chest. It was more aching than anything that he felt in his life; more painful than the time she broke up with him.

“Ah.. so is this the end of my lifelong love?” He asked quietly in his mind.

Donghae felt like crying but he knew it was too pathetic. He should be happy for Reika and Kyuhyun, who happened to be one of his favorite brothers. But he guessed it’s easier said than done. It was even harder to bring up a fake smile.

Eunhyuk glanced at him. “You said you’ll be fine with this, right?” He whispered.

“Yeah. But I never knew it would kill me like this.” He put up a bitter smile, which was all he could manage at that moment.

When they came down the stage, he knew Reika had realized it, too. Should he still continue staying beside her? She promised before that she would let him. But now, it looks like he can’t even bear looking at them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The party ended a little before midnight. It seemed like a very long time. Normally, he would enjoy celebrating with the members, but that night he can’t bring himself to do that after getting his heart get crushed.

They were now walking to the parking area to head to their own cars. Reika was walking quietly beside him. He didn’t saw her talk to Kyuhyun after that and Kyuhyun was also busy talking with other people in the wedding. Donghae hadn’t even said a word to Reika.

“Reika.” He heard Kyuhyun call her from behind them.

Reika stopped and turned around. He did the same.

“Can I escort you home? I want to talk to you.” Kyuhyun said to her.

Donghae was just about to go back alone and leave them in privacy. He can’t stand being there with them. It’s just too heartbreaking. But then he heard Reika speak.

“I’m sorry, Kyuhyun-ssi. Donghae offered first so I’m going with him.” Donghae looked at Reika with a shocked look on his face. He was sure he didn’t offer to escort her because he thought they would want to go home together.

Kyuhyun stared at Reika for a few moments, and then at him. He nodded. “Okay. Take care. His driving is fatal.” Kyuhyun tapped his shoulder and Donghae felt a little pressure on it before Kyuhyun passed them and went to his car.

The other members said that they would go back first and drove away. He was left there with Reika on the side of the road. It was a full moon so it was a very bright night. They were just standing quietly. The sound of the other people who attended the wedding echoed from the venue. It was pretty chilly but he didn’t mind it.

“I thought you’d want to go with him.” Donghae said to her.

“I wanted to talk to you first.” She looked straight at his eyes. “I promised, right?”

Oh yeah, he made her promise to him that he would be the first person to know about her feelings. He just realized that it was a stupid promise. Now that he knew who she chose, he doesn’t think he can accept it with a smile.

“I… know it already. You don’t have to say it. It’s okay if you don’t keep it.” He smiled sadly.

Reika’s usual expressionless face turned into one that was filled with sadness. No, he can’t bear looking at her like that. “Donghae.. I’m so sorry.” She covered her face.