Chapter 12

A/N: So this is a back story in Reika's POV (Well, obviously since she's the one telling it to Kyu. XD). Hope you like it. Don't hesitate to comment! And belated happy birthday to our shining jewel monkey / Donghae's wifeu, Lee Hyukjae! :3

Chapter 12

16 years ago....

A 9-year-old Reika stepped out of their family car. They finally arrived at Mokpo, Jeollanam-do, South Korea, her father’s hometown. For years, they have been constantly moving because of her family’s business. She was used to it already.

“Reika-chan,” Her mother, Angela Engelberg-Mizakuchi, called her. “Why don’t you go check out the house? We’ll just manage our things here.”

Reika nodded and entered the mansion. She thought the place was too big for the three of them – her mom, dad and her – but then they also hired maids. But then it’s still too big, especially that her parents were seldom home.

She climbed up the stairs and surveyed the view outside. She had been in Korea before for a vacation but that was in Seoul. The place they were now was a bit more province-like and quiet. She thought she would like the place.

Reika attended school the next week. She got enrolled at a public school near their village. At first, her parents were against the idea, but she insisted that she was sick of lousy private schools so she wanted a change.

She was a child prodigy. She could easily master anything even at first try and memorize everything with just one look. Because of that, she went to school at an early age and now, she’s in the 5th grade at the age of 9 (Though she didn’t really need to go to school since she already learned everything when she was 5. It was just a formality, and for her to pass the time, her parents said.) Being a prodigy lasts only when you are young, so she’ll be like normal people when she reaches her teens. Honestly, she can’t wait for that time. Her parents said she was special, but she can feel she’s just a freak, an outcast. Reika never mastered the ability of making friends because other kids would either tend to be intimidated by her, or bully her. It didn’t help that she was a quarter of every race. Her mother was half-Filipino half-British, while her father was half-Japanese half-Korean. She can’t decide if she’s Asian, European or whatever. Reika would always get teased because she has an Asian face with blue eyes. She never fits in on anything.

But when she transferred to Mokpo, things changed. All the people there were nice to her, idolized her even. She was even elected as the student council president and gained her very first bestfriend, Choi Sooyoung. Sooyoung was the vice president, two years younger than her and already on the 3rd grade. Maybe they clicked with each other because Sooyoung was also accelerated for two years though not a prodigy like her. She was a hard worker and very talented and very charming and Reika liked her very much. Her parents also decided to stay longer in Korea. Now, she would be able to keep friends. For the first time in her life, Reika felt like she belongs.

2 years later….

Reika was now in her first year of middle school. She was enrolled at a nearby public middle school. Most of the people around were familiar faces when she entered the classroom, but there was one doe-eyed boy who shamelessly stared at her.

She was already in her pre-teens and as she had read in science books before, it was her adolescent years. And from what she read in literature books, this was the age that she would feel those heart-racing emotions of strong affection and personal attachment called… love. She decided that she would find out about it.

“Sooyoung-a, have you ever been in love?” She asked Sooyoung once during a weekend. She was on the 5th grade at their previous school.

“I’m still 9, sunbae. I should be the one asking you that. So, any good-looking or hot boys in your school?” Sooyoung asked her eagerly.