Chapter 37: Bad Dreams and Embarrassing Nights

Start from the beginning

I try not to get angry at her reply, knowing she only doing her job. I have been sleeping, Doctor Hudson. Sorry if I had a nightmare and woke up from it.

I rub the writing off my board and write a new message, which is harder than before because my hands are shaking even more now. The longer it takes to see Lauren, the more scared and nervous I feel.

'She's my girlfriend. Please :('

Her stern gaze softens once she's read the message, and she reluctantly nods, motioning for me to get out of bed. She holds out her hand and helps me out, but it takes a few seconds for me to get used to standing on my own two feet. After the dizziness from standing up too fast subsides, I nod in her direction, signalling for her to lead me to Lauren's room. I'm literally itching to see her.

She cautiously leads me out of the room and down the neutral, white halls of the hospital, glancing at me every few seconds, to make sure I'm okay. The smell of blood and sterilised medical equipment is stronger out here, and I scrunch my nose with discomfort. Nurses and doctors pass us every once in a while, probably to tend to a patient. I hope whoever they are going to is okay.

Eventually, she stops me outside a door that has a number of '352' printed on it. A small glass window is cut in the centre of it and I manage to catch a glimpse of a hospital room that looks similar to mine.

"Press the button on her bed when you want me to take you back to your room," Doctor Hudson's soft voice tells me.

I nod my head and she sends me an encouraging smile before walking away, leaving me to check on Lauren by myself. I don't even think about what I'm doing when I launch myself in her room and rush to her bedside.

I breathe a sigh of relief when I see she is alive and well. I knew that deep down she was okay, but it's just a relief to see her. I haven't seen her since the fire and I'm glad to see she is... well, alive. Her face is pale, as usual, aside from the purple bruise that is swelling above her right eye. There are the tiniest of burns on her arm, only from sparks in the fire, but otherwise she looks as good as new. Well, except from her red puffy eyes, showing me that she has been crying.

Her figure is curled up and she hugs her pillow, her chest rising and falling slowly as she breathes. She's asleep.

I lean forward and raise my hand to touch her bruise gently. Who the hell did this? Why would someone trap her in there on purpose? No one I know has a vendetta against her, so why would they try to kill her, or at least injure her?

She shuffles in her position and I remove my hand, hoping I'm not causing any discomfort. She grumbles and her eyes slowly flicker open, darting around in confusion. Her glassy green eyes bring me a sense of comfort. I missed her.

Her eyes focus on my face and she squints them, probably to see if it's really me before her. So much for not wanting to see her.

"Y/N?" her hoarse voice calls out, giving away that she has been crying a lot. It pains me to see her like this, but then I remember how much pain she caused me.

No. I'm not here for that.

I nod my head slowly, causing her to sit up straight and stare at me intently. I use my whiteboard pen and write something down on my board before holding it up for her shocked expression to see.