'Loving You'

Chapter Forty
'Loving You'

I was woken up from my slumber on the couch by a loud thudding noise. I slowly pryed my eyes open to find Jasper chasing Chris around the dining room table. When Chris would be slightly out of reach for Jasper, he would stop and just grin at the little dog. Jasper would take this as a challenge and continue chasing Chris. I sat up and watched them play for what seemed like a really long time. I slowly stood up and made my way toward the kitchen.

"Good morning beautiful" Chris took his attention off of his new buddy for a second to greet me and then returned to his little game.

"Morning weirdo" I smirked. I began pouring Chris and I a mug of coffee and filled Jasper's water dish.

I grabbed Chris's mug and Jasper's water and walked over toward my boys.

"Break time!!" I called. I gave Chris a light kiss and handed him his mug before setting Jasper's bowl down and kissing his nose. He licked my face happily and started to drink the water from his large dish.

I walked back to the kitchen and grabbed my mug before returning to Chris's side.

"You know, you scared me when you left for Jacobs Bay" he chuckled.

Guilt washed over me. "I know, I'm sorry"

"I thought you'd actually left me. I mean, I know that you could probably do better than me, but I thought that you might actually find someone else who could be better for you than I am" he looked at his feet "Nicole, you're a great girl. You're always so happy around everyone, and you always try to make everyone happy even if it means you aren't. I love that about you. But, I've seen you when you break. And I feel privileged to have seen that. I know that sounds bad but just listen. I feel like I have trumped all of the other guys on this planet for that because I have seen an always happy girl break and have figured out how to get her and keep her happy. You get me?" He smiled.

I set my coffee down beside where he sat his while he was making that speech. I turned to him and took the material of the neck of his shirt in each of my hands. I pulled him close to me and brought his lips down to mine.

"Yeah, I gotcha. Now go make me some breakfast will ya?" I smirked.

Chris laughed. "Yes ma'am" he kissed me quickly before he waltzed to the kitchen; drink in hand.

I crouched down on the floor and looked over at Jasper. "Jasper!" He turned to me, a happy smile plastered across his face. "C'mere!" He bounded over to me, his fur still wet from his drink and jumped into my arms and licking them while I scratched behind his ears. I picked him up off the floor and grabbed my coffee before sitting down at the breakfast bar and watching my fiancee make breakfast while holding my boy in my arms.

Just then, Ryan and Addison came bursting into the house hand-in-hand.

"Hey hey lovebirds!" Ryan announced as they came barreling in the front door.

Jasper immediately began squirming under my grip and letting out small barks. He hadn't met Addie and Ryan yet.

"Who is this little cutie?" Addison asked as she walked toward Jasper and I.

"Hey guys. This is Jasper. Chris got him for me for our one year anniversary yesterday" I smiled.

"Well he's the cutest!!" She said while scratching behind his ear. Jasper kicked his leg in delight. "Congrats guys. Many more years to come right?"

"Definitely. Ryan come here, if there's anybody Jasper's gonna have an issue with, it's gonna be you" I laughed.

"Why is that babe?" He asked placing a kiss on my cheek.

"Because you're 6'3" and like, a million pounds"

"Hey! I'm only like 195" he defended holding his hand out for Jasper to sniff out.

"Still, you got my drift"

"Mhm and your boy here seems to like me just fine" he laughed petting Jasper and scratching his belly.

"Now I have two protectors in this house in case the old one gets too tired" I whispered the last part.

"Hey! The old one has ears ya know! He is capable of super-sonic hearing too!" Chris laughed "you guys are lucky I made extra"

Ryan, Addison and Chris all sat down at the dining table while I got Jasper's food out. I set him down and he pranced over to Chris's foot.

As I poured the dry dog food into the dish Chris was telling Jasper to go eat.

"C'mon Jas, go see mumma!! She's gotch'your food over there! You can't have any of mine or you'll get sick" my stomach did flips when Chris called me mumma. I loved it.

Jasper pranced over to me just as I set the dish down and began eating right away. I kissed his head before sitting down beside Chris and across from Ryan.

"Is he house trained?" Addison asked.

"The place I got him from trains them while they're small so that the owners don't have to. So yeah, he is. Well, for the most part hopefully" he laughed glancing toward Jas who was jumping and pouncing around chasing a dust bunny.

"What are you guys gonna do with him when we go on vacation?" Ryan asked.

"Oh I hadn't thought of that yet! I'm sure Sam and Derrick wouldn't mind watching him. Especially if he's already house trained" I said.

The four of us decided to go shopping for the day. So, I threw a treat into his crate and Jas happily bounded into his crate filled with another dog bed and a few chew toys. He munched on his treat as I muttered a goodbye to him and his eyes followed me until I was out of the door.

When we got home later that night, Chris and I sat on the floor with Jas who was very excited that we were home at last. Chris looked a little nervous out of the corner of my eye.

"What's wrong hun?" I asked grabbing one of the toys and throwing it up the four stairs to the next floor. Jasper ran after it like there was no tomorrow.

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a box that was labeled 'Whenever the time is right' in mum's handwriting. I remembered what today was. Today was July 8th. One year ago today was when my mum had her stroke.

Chris slowly began to open the box. "Mum has entrusted me to give this to you whenever I felt that the time was right and I think now is the right time. I loved her like my own mother and she said that I was like the son she never had. I couldn't have been more grateful for her being in my life"

He fully opened the box to reveal a necklace that said 'Loving You' on it. I had a look of confusion written on my face. Chris pulled a chain out from under his shirt. His read, 'Never Stop'. I was still trying to put the pieces of the puzzle back together. I ran upstairs and grabbed the last picture I have of mum. She was wearing a necklace that read, 'I Will'

'I Will'

'Never Stop'

'Loving You'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aw that's cute ain't it? The three of them have necklaces that make a sentence. I thought it was a good idea to incorporate Chris into that. I was going to make it a mother-daughter thing but then since Chris and Rebecca were so close, I thought 'why not?'
Well, there is certainly more of this little present from Rebecca coming up in the next chapter!

Keep commenting and voting ma lovelies!! I love hearing it!

Happy reading!
Eagle_Eye_13 xx