Gone....Again

Chapter Twenty
Gone....Again

Three weeks had passed and I was hearing from Lena and Kara everyday. Which was a thousand times more than I had heard from Chris. What I wouldn't do to hear his sweet southern voice again.

I sighed. Addison decided to go shopping today. I told her that I was going to go and visit mum in the hospital. I hadn't seen her in a few days and the people at the hospital told me they would call if she woke up but they haven't yet.

I got off of the couch and went up to my room to get dressed. I grabbed my purse and my keys and headed out the door.

I drove down to the hospital in a very anxious state. I hoped that she would wake up soon. I'm worried sick about her.

She was such a good woman. I don't know why she of all people was the one stuck in a coma. There were so many bad people like criminals and murderers that deserved this more than she did.

I pulled up to the hospital and walked in. I wandered up to room 627 just like any other day and slowly opened the door.

My hopes began to rise that maybe, just maybe, she had woken up.

My face fell as I stepped into the room. She was still out. Still had all of the machines hooked up to her, keeping her alive.

I sat down beside her like I usually did and took her hand in mine.

"Please wake up momma. I need you here. Lena and Kara are gone, and Chris is gone as well. I need you to wake up. Please" I whispered as a tear fell down my cheek.

Just then, I heard the door open. Dr. Phillips walked in with a sad expression on his face.

"Hello Miss Collins"

"Hi Dr. Phillips"

"I'm sorry but I have some bad news about your mother here"

"Oh no"

"We've done some tests and we've discovered that since she fell into the coma, she has lost two thirds of her brain cells, which would leave her unable to function if she were to wake up. So even if she wakes up which is extremely unlikely, she wouldn't be able to live. I'm sorry"

"You...You're kidding right"

"I'm sorry Miss Collins. We've done everything that we can to help her. You can take as much time as you need with her and you can decide when we unplug her" he said.

Dr. Phillips walked out of the room and closed the door.

As soon as I heard the door close, my body sunk to the floor. My mum was dead. Not coming back. Ever. She was gone.

Gone.

That word kept ringing inside my head.

But the weird thing was, I didn't cry. I just sat there. In shock.

I couldn't believe it. My mum, the woman who raised me, wiped my nose, tied my shoes, made me suppers, and brought me into this crazy messed up world was gone. Dead. I couldn't wrap my head around it.

After about ten minutes, a nurse; who looked about twenty-five walked into the room.

"Are you ready to begin unplugging?"she asked with a sympathetic look.

"I'm as ready as I'll ever be I guess" I said while looking at my lifeless mother.

"Okay"

She began to walk towards my mum. There were about six machines that she had to turn off in order for the process to be complete. I grabbed my mum's hand and rubbed circles on it. This would be the last time I would hold her hand. The hand that I had held numerous times as a child, and this was the last time I could hold it. At nineteen years old, my mum; my best friend was going to leave me.