Movie Night

Chapter Thirty-Five
Movie Night

Ryan was recovering very well and the nurses said that he would be back to his normal self in two to three weeks. But until then we should be taking advantage of his lack of sarcasm and his quietness before he fully comes to. I laughed at the thought. Ryan was another person when he was quiet and non-sarcastic. It was funny to me.

"What is my lovely fiancee laughing at?" Chris asked moving closer to me on the couch.

"Just something about Ryan"

"He looks awful. I mean I looked amazing while I was in the hospital"

"Whatever helps you sleep at night"

"Well you help me sleep at night so what's your point?" he smirked with a stupid grin on his face.

"Stop trying to make yourself look attractive it's not working"

"You are gonna get it now Nicole" he threatened jokingly as I sprang from the couch and began trying to run away from him.

He caught me easily and began tickling my sides.

"Chris!! Stop!! You know I'm ticklish!!" I screamed/laughed.

"Hence why I do it" he said while bringing his hands away from my sides and making a dumb hand gesture.
When he did this, I quickly jumped up and ran out the front door and into the backyard which happened to be a few yards from the beach. I ran out to the shoreline and ran along it with Chris hot on my heels. I felt his strong hands on my waist and his touch still gave me butterflies. He yanked me back and continued to tickle me. I kicked my legs and flailed my arms in the air which did nothing for me. When I had finally stopped laughing, Chris turned me around in the air and brought me to his chest in a tight, warming hug. I loved his hugs. He could completely enclose me from the world around us and make me forget about any issue or problem I'm having.

He set me down and walked into the water a little bit. Since I was wearing shorts, I wasn't going to get my clothes wet or anything so I followed him. He stopped when the water was about halfway up his calves but of course, was up to my knees. He held out his hand and I took it gladly. He put his free hand on my waist and I put my free hand on his shoulder. We began happily dancing in the ocean water. It was one of those things that you see in a movie but you never expect anyone to actually do it in real life. I laughed with him as our clothes were pretty much soaked at this point. We weren't slow dancing. We were jumping around like crazy people during happy hour. Chris dipped me a little too far and my hair was submerged in the water. I screamed slightly at the cold water on my head but quickly grew used to it. We danced for probably a half hour before we decided that we should go back home. But before he could get far, I snuck up behind Chris and shoved him; causing him to fall into the cold water. He screamed a little before yanking me down with him. I shrieked and immediately began shivering. He pulled me into his arms and attempted to warm me up. He rubbed my arms but it wasn't doing much. After I was finally used to the cold, we sat in the waves in comfortable silence. I was leaning my back up against his chest and he rested his chin on the top of my head. He now had his arms behind him for support but the water seemed to be getting warmer as time went on.

My mind wandered to my dad. He still wasn't home. I tried calling him and he never answered. I left him a ton of messages but he never replied. His things were gone. He apparently had time to get them since we had stayed the night at the hospital with Ryan. He left us. Again. How could I think that he wouldn't? People don't exactly change. Even if it had been nine years. How could I have thought that I had my daddy back? Maybe it was the speech he made the night Chris and I announced our engagement. "Rebecca brought us back together again and I couldn't be more grateful for that." What a load of crap that was. I don't know why he could've come back if he didn't care about mum or I in the first place. Get my hopes up and lie to me all for a silly game he plays. Whatever. I had made it through half my life without him what's another seventy years to me right? I thought he had changed, but it turns out he is still the same sick person he was nine years ago.