Military Man

Chapter Twenty-One
Military Man

Addison sat with me in the living room as we stared at the clock, both of us awaiting Chris's arrival home.

Addison hasn't seen Chris in years, and she spoke with him on the phone frequently. But, she still missed him dearly.

When I talked to him, he was speaking as if nothing had ever happened. As if he never went back on his word and never broke my heart. I couldn't help but wonder why.

Time seemed to move slower as we sat in silence. And those eight hours felt like eight months.

Chris

I was in the helicopter on my way home when of course, Nicole crossed my mind.

I was so upset with myself right now for not answering her. But, I pushed these thoughts to the back of my head because Nicole needed me and I needed her; now more than ever. And I loved her.

Rebecca was like my own mother. Since my mum died, she was in fact, the closest thing I had to a mother. Every so often, if I needed to talk about something and Nicole wasn't there, I would go to see her at work and she would hear me out and help me figure out what to do.

She was an amazing woman and I couldn't believe that she was gone. It all happened so fast. Just a few months ago she was okay, but now, four months later, she was dead. And I didn't even get to say goodbye.

The helicopter landed at the airport and I rushed to find my jeep in the long-term parking zone. I hurriedly threw all of my bags into the trunk, climbed into the driver's seat and started the engine. Thankfully, it roared to life.

I pulled out of the parking lot and sped over to Nicole's house. All negative thoughts were put to the back of my mind. She needed me to stay positive for her. And in fact, I needed that too.

Nicole

I caught a glimpse of Chris's jeep from the corner of my eye and I ran as fast as I could up the stairs. My body went into autopilot and I ran into my mum's room. I closed and locked the door behind me.

I looked out the window and saw Addison run out the front door and into the arms of her older brother, whom she hasn't seen in years.

I closed the curtain and walked around the room, trying to calm my nerves. Some of mum's clothes were strewn around the room; just as they were when she was first admitted to the hospital. The room smelled of her, and the all too familiar scent brought tears to my eyes. I looked around at her nightstand and found my all-time favorite pictures. One was my mum, my dad and I sitting together in our backyard in San Francisco. We were all smiling and happy, back when our lives were perfect. The other picture was of just my mum and I which was taken about six months ago. It was us sitting on the beach together at sunset hugging and wearing really big smiles across our faces.

Tears fell from my eyes and they just wouldn't stop coming.

Then, I heard a knock at the door.

"Nicole, are you in there?"

Chris.

"Go away" I cried.

"Come on honey. Please let me in" he pleaded.

I caved; knowing he wouldn't give up and knowing that I needed him here with me. I stood up and walked over to the door. I unlocked it, and immediately the knob turned. I took a step back and the door opened, revealing a rough but handsome-looking Chris.

I felt the tears coming again and I ran into his awaiting arms. He wrapped his arms around me and kissed the top of my head. I sunk to the floor and brought him down with me.

I was sobbing into his chest and to my surprise, my tough military man cried with me.

"Mum" I whispered.

"Shhhhh I know honey I know shhhhh" he comforted with a slight weakness present in his voice.

And we stayed like that. I was back where I felt like I belonged.

In the arms of my military man.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry this chapter is so short!! Well, Chris and Nicole are reunited! Not for good reasons but...

What do you guys think will happen when the letters get brought up??

Keep commenting and voting my lovely readers!

Happy reading!
Eagle_Eye_13 xx