Mum

Chapter Eleven
Mum

I couldn't keep it together on the way to the hospital.

Chris held my hand and rubbed soothing circles on my knuckles as he drove.

With every second that passed, the fear for my mother's life grew emensly.

I sobbed into my sleeve, hoping it would muffle the sound from Chris's ears.

"We're almost there baby doll. Hang in there for me. She'll be fine I'm sure." Chris whispered soothingly.

I sniffled and tried to keep it together for mum. She needed positive thoughts, not negativity.

"Thanks" I muttered.

"No need to thank me my dear" he said while kissing my hand.

We pulled up to the hospital just as I was about to lose it again.

I couldn't wait for Chris to come over and open the car door for me. I was too panicked.

Right before I walked into the emergency room, Chris tugged on my arm pulling me to a stop. I turned my tear soaked face to him; awaiting an explanation for why he was keeping me from entering the ER.

"Baby you have to calm down. People are already scared in there and you running in there while losing your mind isn't going to help them or you. Just relax okay? I'm sure she'll be alright" he said before kissing my forehead and guiding me through the sliding doors.

When we approached the desk, Chris asked for mum because I didn't have the heart to do it myself.

"Room 512" the receptionist said.

"Thanks so much" Chris replied.

We walked into the room and my heart broke into a million pieces. She was lying in the bed completely still and almost lifeless. She had an oxygen machine attached to her and an IV in her arm.

As soon as I saw her I collapsed into Chris's arms. He caught me and sat down on the floor rocking me back and forth as I sobbed.

My hair then started to grow damp. He was crying too.

I turned around, tears still freely flowing down my cheeks and I wrapped my arms around his neck.

We stayed like that for what felt like an eternity.

Chris lifted me off of the ground bridal style, stood up and began walking towards my normally happy mum.

He pulled up a chair and sat down. Still holding me in his arms.

I turned from Chris to my mum and reached out for her hand.

I took her cold hand in my own and kissed it.

"Hang in there mama" I whispered through my tears.

I felt her hand close around mine and her eyes began to flutter open.

"Mama!" I cried; relieved.

She didn't say anything. She just smiled as I stood up from Chris's arms to give her a hug.

As I stood up, Chris sniffled and wiped his eyes. I moved around and laid beside mum; facing her.

She lifted her hand up and pointed to Chris; motioning for him to come over with her as well.

He walked over and laid with his chest against my back. He took mum's hand and held it in his.

I loved how close they were. She treated him like her own son and he treated her as if she was his mum.

The other day he had told me about his family because he hadn't mentioned them before.

His parents were killed in a terrible car accident six years ago and he and his sister Addison barely made it out alive. His mum's parents had also died when he was eight, and his dad's parents moved to England five years ago. Addison was really his only family. He said that they were extremely close, but he hasn't seen her since his first tour in the army three years back. She couldn't bear to see him because she didn't want to fear for his life even more than she already did. She felt that seeing him would make his military career feel far too real and she didn't want to fear losing him to the rest of her family. She lived in California as well and I had made plans to see her while Chris was gone.

My mum was the closest thing he had to a mother. That's why they were so close. At this thought, I snuggled into him.

He leaned his head over my shoulder and I turned to kiss him. This man was amazing. And considering his back story, he was even more amazing and it just made me love him that much more.

"I love you" I whispered.

A tear dripped from his eye onto my shoulder. "I love you too baby doll" and he leaned his head up and kissed me on the forehead.

We layed like that for a while until a doctor came into the room.

"Miss Collins?" he asked.

"Yes and this is Christopher Garrett" Chris and I sat up at the same time.

"Hello I'm Dr. Phillips. I've been helping your mother out"

"Is she going to be okay?" Chris took the words right out of my mouth.

"Well, she has had a pretty serious stroke. But she doesn't seem to have shown any signs of paralysis which is good. And her blood pressure and cholesterol levels are holding steady which is also good. We do expect her to make a full recovery but we need to keep her here until we can assure that she won't have another stroke" he said.

"Of course" I said with a sigh of relief.

She was going to be okay.

"How much is this going to cost Doctor?" Chris asked.

"It's already been taken care of Mr. Garrett" Dr. Phillips said.

"By who?"

"I believe he goes by the name of Everett Collins" he said as he left the room.

"Daddy" I said another tear rolling down my cheek.
---------------------------------
Oh boy......her dad's back

I love plot twists :)
Alright, keep commenting and voting!

Happy reading!
Eagle_Eye_13 xx